Summary: Communication helps students see the relationships among the concepts, skills, theories, and contexts of communication by anchoring all discussion around five fundamental principles. Edition/Copyright: 2ND 04
Written by experienced and highly regarded textbook authors and teachers, Communication: Principles for a Lifetime provides students with all the theory and skills necessary in the introductory course--in a manner that will help them to apply what they learn throughout their l ...show moreives.
Understanding that the challenge in any basic communication course is teaching students the myriad of skills, principles, and theories without overwhelming them, Beebe/Beebe/Ivy emphasize five key principles of communication throughout their book:
Providing both comprehensive and cutting-edge content about communication organized around these five themes, Beebe/Beebe/Ivy cover all of the topics expected in the basic course in a manner that will help both instructors and their students organize the extensive range of material typically covered in the introductory course.
- Be aware of your communication with yourself and others.
- Effectively use and interpret verbal messages.
- Effectively use and interpret nonverbal messages.
- Listen and respond thoughtfully to others.
- Appropriately adapt messages to others.
New To This Edition :
- A pentagon model and icon--introduced in Chapter 1 and appearing in the margins throughout the book--visually illustrate and help students see how text material relates to the five communication principles.
- Chapter ending "Principles for a Lifetime" summaries (in Chapters 7-15) highlight the connection between chapter topics and the five communication principles.
- "Ethical Probe" boxes sprinkled throughout the chapters, emphasize ethical principles and explore ethical issues.
- A "Technology and Communication" box in every chapter presents new, cutting-edge information about the increasingly important role of communication in society.
- An "On the Web" box in every chapter points to websites on which students can find Internet information to enrich their study of communication.
- A "Diversity and Communication" box in every chapter helps students see the importance of diversity in communication.
- Pedagogy includes:
- Learning objectives and chapter outlines
- Boldface terms and marginal glossary
- Selected poems and stories
- Photographs and diagrams
- Cartoons (one or two per chapter)
- Chapter-end text summary
- Chapter-end summary "Principles for a Lifetime" organized around the five principles (Chs. 7-15)
- Chapter-end questions for discussion and review
- Chapter-end activities to develop skills and apply principles
- Glossary terms alphabetized at the end of the book
- New chapter-opening quotations provide an attention-catching introduction to the content of each chapter.
- New and updated examples, web addresses, and new references to recent communication research and technology in every chapter keep students engaged in the text and up-to-date on the latest information.
- New coverage of information-gathering Interviews in Appendix A on Interviewing helps students better prepare for the range of interviews they will encounter both in classroom settings and beyond.
- New student speech examples in Chapters 14 and 15 and Appendix B.
- Revised and expanded discussions of:
- Communication competence
- Communication ethics
- The nature and definition of human communication (Ch. 1)
- Self-awareness (Ch. 2)
- Language, behavior and gender differences in communication (Chs. 3 and 6)
- Nonverbal messages in intercultural settings (Ch. 4)
- Listening barriers, active listening, and empathetic listening (Ch. 5)
- Interpersonal communication including expanded coverage of conflict management (Chs. 7 and 8)
- Characteristics of teams and teamwork skills (Chs. 9 and 10)
- Communication apprehension (Ch. 11)
- Presentational speaking and presentation aids (Ch. 13)
- Developing persuasive messages (Ch. 15)
- TECHNOLOGY ADVANTAGE--
- An extensive range of technology-based supplements, including VideoWorkshop for Introduction to Communication, CourseCompass for Introduction to Communication, a Companion Website Plus with Online Practice Tests, and more!
- The latest research techniques for using the Internet during speech preparation and research.
- Tips and principles for using PowerPoint and other multimedia aids to deliver a presentation.
- SCORE! multiple choice tests in (supplement to be named later) challenge students to actively test what they've learned; these twenty item multiple choice tests correlate with each chapter of the book.
Publisher: Allyn & Bacon, Inc.
Other Editions of Communication : Principles for Lifetime: