Summary: From the first day of client care and throughout a career in nursing, students must develop skills in communication to cope with emotional reactions to the stress of health care situations in their clients and in themselves. This text covers communication topics essential in today's health care environment. Edition/Copyright: 00
- Fundamental overview of therapeutic communication techniques essential for nursing students who are ...show morejust beginning nursing courses
- Includes numerous real-life examples from the author's experience, some humorous, some serious; cartoons illustrate important concepts
- Includes end-of-chapter exercises to allow practice of communication skills
- Includes self-assessment quizzes in the beginning chapters to encourage the reader to write in the book and provide insight into personal communication patterns and beliefs
- Pedagogical features include chapter objectives, chapter summary, and bibliography with suggestions for further reading
- Covers communication topics essential in today's health care environment: theories and models, nurse-client relationships, gender and cultural relationships, breaking down barriers to successful communication, empathy, assertiveness, humor, touch, tears, client education, and assisting clients with problem solving and decision making.
Publisher: F. A. Davis Co.
Year Published: 2000