Summary: Communication Theories for Everyday Life introduces students to the complexities of theories in communication studies, mass communication, and public relations, emphasizing their connection to everyday life. Edition/Copyright: 04
With chapters written by a variety of authors, each a specialist in his or her own field, this introductory communication theory book includes scientific, humanistic, and critical theories that explain various forms of communication. Instead of utilizi ...show moreng a "theory-a-day" approach, this text cuts across content areas and clusters related theories, making them easier for students to process and apply to real-life situations. The book provides a context to show the interrelationships among theories. Communication Theories for Everyday Life also addresses theories in emerging areas and growing fields, such as media research, organizational communication, and computer-mediated communication, while still featuring the traditional theories that always have defined the field.
- Contextualizes theory with an initial chapter in each of the main content areas that introduces the theories and research in the field, showing students how the theories developed.
- Features new theories and subject areas not present in most traditional communication theory textbooks, including new interactive technologies, feminist scholarship, British cultural studies, semiotics, postmodernism, and critical race theory.
- Emphasizes the application of some theories across many subject areas through headings in the form of questions that encourage students to process material and explore for themselves how theories and content apply to their lives.
- Uses case study chapters that demonstrate to students how each subject area would use theory to solve or understand issues in everyday life (Chs. 11, 18, & 24).
- Reviews theories for the three main genres of communication--communication studies, mass communication, and public relations--with balanced coverage, examining the unique contributions each area has made to the field of communication as a whole.
- Includes a detailed glossary, discussion questions for each chapter, and an index to provide students with additional learning aids.
- Is designed so that it can be tailored to classes with differing communication foci, allowing instructors to emphasize specific sections or chapters of the text as needed.
Publisher: Allyn & Bacon, Inc.