Summary: This text provides prospective and current teachers with the skills and knowledge to understand, and improve their own communication behavior as well as their students'. Edition/Copyright: 7TH 03
By combining theory and practical advice, this text focuses on the reasons for using certain communication strategies and how to implement them. Communication for the Classroom Teacher covers a wide range of classroom communication issues, including interpersonal and small group communicat ...show moreion; listening skills; verbal and nonverbal communication (from both the teacher's and student's perspective); instructional strategies such as lecturing, discussions, and storytelling; teacher influence; ethical considerations; and racism/sexism in the classroom.
New To This Edition:
- Reviews major research from both education and communication, helping students see how research findings can be made practical and how research can influence teachers.
- Includes numerous examples interspersed throughout, helping students see theory "in action."
- Features "Journal Assignments" at the end of each chapter, providing thought-provoking and creative ideas to help students apply the text discussion to their own situations and to become better teachers.
- Discusses an expanded range of cultural and ethical issues.
- Highlights updated resources and research.
- Includes more extensive coverage of technology's influence on communication in the classroom, including e-mail and video/multimedia presentations, in order to address the needs students will face as they enter their own classrooms as teachers.
- Illustrates different cultural influences on classroom communication, including a new chapter focusing on sexism and racism issues in the classroom.
- Focuses more attention on communication ethics, including the NCA creed and case studies, to draw students' attention to this core topic.
- Features "Future Reference" boxes (user-friendly practical applications of theory) in every chapter, which help students see how the material can be put to use in their own classrooms.
Publisher: Allyn & Bacon, Inc.
Year Published: 2003