This edition has also been released as:
Summary: This well-respected text balances theory and processes with skill development. The authors are active researchers, lecturers, and communication consultants. They draw on their experiences to provide students with a clear introduction to the study of small group communication. Communication in Small Groups puts theory and research into practice. A primary objective is to discuss small group communication theory and research in a way that allows the reader to apply con ...show morecepts and principles to the process of communication when working as a member of a team.Edition/Copyright: 6TH 04
- NEW! Chapter 9, "Managing and Resolving Conflict in Groups," has been reorganized to ask and answer three primary questions: what factors influence the level of conflict within a team, what rules and strategies can be used to manage interpersonal conflict; and what rules and strategies can be used to manage organizational conflict. The discussion of the styles for managing and resolving has been expanded to include specific message strategies that can be used when using talk to strategically manage conflict. There is also an excellent conflict script and a new discussion of Conflict Management Message Strategies.
- NEW! Chapter 10, "Facilitating Group Work Within and Between Teams and Organizations," contains an extensive discussion of collaborating when working in virtual teams. This chapter also deepens the book's commitment to skill development by focusing on relationship building, effective role performance, and team-building when working in virtual teams.
- NEW! Completely updated end of chapter resources. The summary will now be followed by Opportunities for Discussion and Extended Learning. This new end-of-chapter feature includes InfoTrac College Edition questions and URLs.
- NEW! The text contains two new Case Studies.
- NEW! A Book Companion Web site will now feature all of the InfoTrac College Edition exercises and URLs included in the book.
- NEW! A heavily revised Instructor's Resource Manual includes more test questions, assessment and evaluation tools, and PowerPoint presentations.
- Excellent coverage of technology and virtual teams in Chapter 1, "Defining Small Group Communication" and Chapter 10, "Facilitating Group Work Within and Between Teams and Organizations."
- Strong commitment to balancing theory and practice. Rules and strategies for enhancing the chances of competent communication when working in a small group are furnished in every chapter.
- New and expanded discussion of interpersonal communication in Chapter 6 including a discussion of concepts such as social cognition, definition of the situation, egocentrism, stereotyping, uncertainty avoidance, power distance, masculinity and femininity, and perspective-taking.
- New Instructor's Resource Manual, written by one of the co-authors, contains over 250 new multiple-choice exam questions and PowerPoint presentations covering a range of different communication concepts and processes.
- Information for leaders of small groups, specifically in terms of leading and managing teams in both Chapter 7, "Leading Small Groups," and Chapter 9, "Managing Conflict in Groups".
- Issues addressed include the nature and function of virtual teams, group communication support systems, and rules and strategies for enhancing communication competence in virtual teams.
- Combination of some communication theories (both group and general) for a clearer, more comprehensive presentation in Chapter 11, "Evaluating Small Group Communication".
- NEW! This edition pays close attention to the way in which technology is influencing the process of group communication. Chapter 1 introduces the concept of virtual team and introduces the range of different group communication support systems, which are increasingly used by both face-to-face and virtual teams. This chapter also includes discussion of types of work groups, including long-standing, prefab, virtual teams, project teams, and a discussion of group communication support systems.
- NEW! Amplified discussion of the process of preparing for group problem-solving is discussed in Chapter 5, focusing on three skills necessary to prepare for discussion and team presentations: researching, organizing ideas, and constructing arguments. This chapter also includes a more elaborate discussion on using electronic resources such as the Internet for group work preparation, more extended discussion of Toulmin, including a URL reference, and more discussion of listening (through end-of-chapter activity).
- NEW! Chapter Six has a stronger focus on interpersonal communication and building relationships. This chapter now asks and answers four key questions: 1) what happens when people attempt to communicate; 2) what obstacles decrease the possibility of effective interpersonal communication; 3) what factors enhance the possibility of competent communication; and 4) what rules and strategies can help build relationships when working as a member of a project team. This chapter now includes a discussion of concepts such as social cognition, definition of the situation, egocentrism, stereotyping, uncertainty avoidance, power distance, masculinity and femininity, and perspective-taking which should significantly strengthen the readers' understanding of the interpersonal dynamics of working as a member of a project team.
- NEW! Chapter 7, "Leading Small Groups," discusses the functional perspective on leadership by furnishing a discussion of position-centered and person-centered leadership. This section not only furnishes an explanation of the two concepts but also furnishes a range of messages strategies which can be used to exert position-centered or person-centered leadership. These message strategies are drawn from diverse contexts (student work groups, health care teams, project teams in organizations) and deepens the book's commitment to skill development by furnishing specific ways in which talk can be used strategically to exert leadership.
- NEW! Chapter 8 now includes more focused application with the section "Communication Rules and Strategies for Improving Role-Playing in Small Groups."
Publisher: Wadsworth, Inc
Other Editions of Communication In Small Groups : Theory, Process And Skills: