Summary: Community Health in the 21st Century introduces readers to their roles and responsibilities as members of a global community addressing shared health concerns. This book is the first of its kind to thoroughly explore social, political, economic, and ethical issues associated with community health from a global perspective. The book emphasizes the impact these perspectives have on possible solutions to important health concerns. It addresses environmental issues, scho
ol health programs, and unique concerns of community populations such as ethnically diverse people, people of color, the differently abled, older Americans, children, migrants and farm workers, gay men, lesbians, and women. The book acquaints the reader with the roles and responsibilities of community/public health educators, the leading causes of morbidity and mortality in the United States, Healthy People 2010 emphasis areas, and target populations affected by issues of the 21st century. For college instructors and students.
Summary: Community Health in the 21st Century introduces readers to their roles and responsibilities as members of a global community addressing shared health concerns. This book is the first of its kind to thoroughly explore social, political, economic, and ethical issues associated with community health from a global perspective. The book emphasizes the impact these perspectives have on possible solutions to important health concerns. It addresses environmental issues, school health programs, and unique concerns of community populations such as ethnically diverse people, people of color, the differently abled, older Americans, children, migrants and farm workers, gay men, lesbians, and women. The book acquaints the reader with the roles and responsibilities of community/public health educators, the leading causes of morbidity and mortality in the United States, Healthy People 2010 emphasis areas, and target populations affected by issues of the 21st century. For college instructors and students. ...show less
Edition/Copyright:2ND 02 Cover: Paperback Publisher:Benjamin-Cummings Publishing Co. Year Published: 2002 International: No
View Table of Contents
I. A FRAMEWORK FOR COMMUNITY HEALTH. 1. An Introduction to Community Health. The Global Nature of Community Health. What is Community Health? Community or Public Health? What are the Latest Community Health Issues? A Focus on Prevention. Healthy People 2010. The Roles of the Community Health Educator. Community Health Education Specialist. Is Community Health Political?
2. The History, Administration and Organization of Community Health. The Origins of Public and Community Health. Ancient and Pre-Modern History. The Middle Ages and Pre-Colonization. Early Health Care in America. Health Care Delivery. The Role of Federal Government. The Role of State Health Departments. The Role of Local Health Departments. Philanthropic Organizations. Volunteer Organizations. Professional Organizations. International Organizations.
3. Financing and Providing Health Care. The Economics of Health Care. Why Is There Inadequate Health Care for All Americans? Poverty. Unemployment. Homelessness. Low Income Single Parents. Insurance. Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs). Preferred Provider Organizations. The Health Care system. Traditional Financing of Health Care. Medicare. Medicaid. Block Grants.
4. The Global Community and its Health Care Issues. Community Health Issues Associated with Population Growth. Birth and Death Rates. Health and Urbanization. Hunger. Undernutrition. Housing. Pest Control. Current International Objectives.
5. Epidemiological Methods and Language. History of Epidemiology. The Science of Epidemiology. The language of Epidemiology. Vital Statistics. Morbidity. Mortality. Epidemiological Research Studies. Environmental Epidemiology. Risk Assessment. Dose-Response Curve.
II. THE LEADING CAUSES OF DEATH: LOOKING TOWARD THE FUTURE.
6. Cardiovascular Disease, Cancer, and Cerebrovascular Diseases. Heart Disease. Preventing Heart Disease. Atherosclerosis. Hypertension. Cholesterol. Smoking. Other Forms of Tobacco. Diabetes. Exercise. Weight. Stress and Personality Traits. Prevention Programs. Cancer. The Most Prevalent Cancers. Preventing Cancer.
8. Suicide, Nephritis, Chronic Liver Disease, HIV/ AIDS. Nephritis. Chronic Liver Diseases. Suicide. Homicide. Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. HIV/AIDS in the United States. Prevention.
III. UNDERSTANDING THE COMMUNITY AND ITS PEOPLE.
9. Infants, Children and Adolescents. Children of the Planet. Infant Mortality. Low Birth Weight. Life Expectancy. Nutrition. Family Planning. Children, Adolescents and Young Adults. The CDC Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System. Cardiovascular Diseases. Injury. Child Abuse. Adolescents. Teen Pregnancy. Contraception. Sexual Orientation. Sexual Abuse. Sexually Transmitted Diseases. Alcohol-Other Drugs. Violence. Gangs.
10. Older Adults. Aging. Life Expectancy. The Demographics of Older Adults. Older People of Color. Aging. Long Term Health Care. Characteristics of Older Adults. Health Priorities of Older People. Causes of Premature Death. Falls. Suicide. Pneumonia. Alzheimer's Disease. Alcoholism. Elder Abuse. Studying Aging. Community Health Interventions. Ageism.
11. Ethnically Diverse People: People of Color, Immigrants and Migrant Farmers. Hispanic Americans. Mexican Americans. Cuban Americans. Puerto Ricans. Native Americans. African Americans. Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders. Immigrants. Refugees. Migrant Farmworkers. Disparities in Minority Health Education. Cultural Sensitivity.
12. Diverse Peoples: Lesbians, Gay Men, and Differently Abled. Lesbians, Gay Men and Bisexual Communities. Lesbians and Gay Men. Substance Abuse. Health Services. Lesbian Issues. Breast Cancer. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. HIV/AIDS. Birthing. Gay Men's Issues. Substance Abuse. Communicable diseases. Fathering. Differently Abled People. Ableism.
13. Women's Issues. The World Looks at Women's Health. The Primary Health Care Issues of Women. Breast Cancer. Osteoporosis. Reproductive Cancer. Family Planning. Breast Implants. Sexually Transmitted Diseases. The Menstrual Cycle. Abortion. RU-486. Maternal Morbidity. Family Leave.
IV. COMMUNITY HEALTH PRIORITIES AND ISSUES FOR THE 21ST CENTURY.
14. Communicable Diseases. Communicable Diseases in Contemporary Society. Respiratory Diseases. Alvine Discharge Diseases. Vector Borne Diseases. Open Lesion Diseases. Zoonoses. Nosocomial Diseases. Microorganisms That Cause Communicable Diseases. Emerging New Diseases. Preventing Communicable Diseases: Immunization. Immunity. Vaccinating for Immunity.
15. Occupational Health. Occupational Risks. Lung Disease. Musculoskeletal Injuries. Occupational Cancer. Occupational Trauma. Reproductive Disorders. Noise Related Health Problems. Skin Disorders. Psychological Disorders. The Cost of Occupational Diseases. Safety Legislation. Prevention.
16. Social Illness in the Community: Mental Health, Alcohol and Other Drugs, and Violence. History of Mental Health. Deinstitutionalization. Homelessness. Classification of Mental Disorders. The Impact of Mental Disorders. Stress. Suicide. Race and Mental Health. Gender as a Mental Health Determinant. Types of Mental Illness. Drugs and Alcohol. Minority Populations and Alcohol Facts. Women and Alcohol Use. Types of Drugs. Substance Abuse Prevention. Violence as a Community Health Illness. Interpersonal Violence. Homicide. Contributing Factors to Violence. Prevention.
17. Comprehensive School Health Programs. A Need for School Health. Historical Events Leading to Comprehensive School Health Programs. Comprehensive School Health Programs. Comprehensive School Health Education. Physical Education. Health Services. Nutrition Services. Counseling, Psychological and Social Services. Healthy School Environment. Health Promotion for School Staff. Implementing Comprehensive School Health Programs. Local Coalition Building. Barriers to Comprehensive School Health Programs. Moving Beyond Barriers to Healthier Schools. Evaluation of the Comprehensive School Health Program.
V. THE COMMUNITY AND ITS ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH ISSUES.
18. The Air We Breathe. Air Pollution. Contributing Factors to Air Pollution. Emissions and Ozone Depletion. Smoke and Smog. Health Impairment In Humans. The Clean Air Act. The Six Criterion Pollutants. Indoor Air Pollution.
19. Water Safety. The Hydrosphere. Industry and Agriculture. Biological Magnification. Wetland Depletion. Water Pollution. Waterborne Disease Causing Agents. Oxygen Demanding Wastes. Inorganic Chemicals. Organic Chemicals. Groundwater. The Clean Water Act. Groundwater Treatment. Purification of Drinking Water. Sewage Water and Treatment. Septic Tanks. Swimming Pools.
20. Food Safety. Other Foodborne Disease Transmitting Agents. Chemical Contamination. Milk. Meat. Poultry. Shellfish.
21. The Throwaway Society. A History of Waste. Solid Waste. Solid Waste Disposal. Landfill Construction. On-Site Volume Reduction Alternatives. Incineration. Ecological Racism. Off-Site Alternatives to Landfills. Recycling. Infectious and Medical Waste. Other Hazardous Waste. Nuclear Waste. Superfund.
Order this book in the next 17 hours and 24 minutes and it ships by Noon CT tomorrow!
New Currently Sold Out
Due back 07/31/2015
Save $80.01 (60%)
Free return shipping
21-day satisfaction guarantee
CDs or access codes may not be included
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.