This edition has also been released as:
Summary: Organized around high-interest contemporary themes, A Community of Readers: A Thematic Approach to Reading, Third Edition, presents college reading skills in the context of real-life issues relevant to students' communities-in the classroom, in the neighborhood, in the nation, and in the world. Edition/Copyright: 3RD 04
The authors use a unique pedagogical system called PRO (P-repare to Read, R-ead Actively and Reflect, and O-rganize to learn) that is introduced in the first chapte ...show morer and then reinforced in every chapter opening and chapter review, giving students a concrete learning device to follow. Each chapter also introduces a key reading skill (main idea, vocabulary, inference); all readings in that chapter center on the same theme. This thematic organization helps students develop schema while improving their reading skills. The third edition emphasizes both the basic reading skills and higher level, critical reading skills: examining fact and opinion, understanding bias, and thinking critically.
New To This Edition
- Contains extensive practice in reading skills, with both objective and open-ended questions.
- Includes high-interest, thematically organized readings throughout, along with a section of additional readings at the end of the text.
- Includes thorough coverage of visual aids and vocabulary.
- Thematic approach allows students to focus on a single topic and explore complex material from different viewpoints.
- Perforated pages allow exercises and tests to be removed cleanly from the book and submitted to the instructor.
- Includes an entire chapter, "Working with Words" dedicated to vocabulary building skills.
- The "reading" of visual material, including photographs, charts, graphs, and tables, is given an entire chapter in the third edition.
- Provides expanded coverage of summarizing as a comprehension skill.
- In addition to Technology, Wellness, Workplace, Gender Issues, Neighborhoods, and Diversity, the third edition includes the new theme of " Our Food, Our Culture."
- Includes expanded instruction on evaluating arguments.
- Exercises have been redesigned to make them easier to score.
- Increased coverage of vocabulary throughout the text.
Publisher: Longman, Inc.
Year Published: 2004