ISBN13:978-0631187851 ISBN10: 0631187855 This edition has also been released as: ISBN13: 978-0631162117 ISBN10: 0631162119
Summary: In this volume some of today's most distinguished philosophers survey the whole field of ethics, from its origins, through the great ethical traditions, to theories of how we ought to live, arguments about specific ethical issues, and the nature of ethics itself. The book can be read straight through from beginning to end; yet the inclusion of a multi-layered index, coupled with a descriptive outline of contents and bibliographies of relevant literature, means that t
he volume also serves as a work of reference, both for those coming afresh to the study of ethics and for readers already familiar with the subject.
Summary: In this volume some of today's most distinguished philosophers survey the whole field of ethics, from its origins, through the great ethical traditions, to theories of how we ought to live, arguments about specific ethical issues, and the nature of ethics itself. The book can be read straight through from beginning to end; yet the inclusion of a multi-layered index, coupled with a descriptive outline of contents and bibliographies of relevant literature, means that the volume also serves as a work of reference, both for those coming afresh to the study of ethics and for readers already familiar with the subject. ...show less
Edition/Copyright:91 Cover: Paperback Publisher:Blackwell Publishers Published: 08/28/1993 International: No
View Author Bio
Singer, Peter : Princeton University
Peter Singer is Ira W. DeCamp Professor of Bioethics at the University Center for Human Values, Princeton University. He is the author of Animal Liberation, first published in 1975, and is widely credited with triggering the modern animal-rights movement. His Practical Ethics is one of the most widely used texts in applied ethics, and Rethinking Life and Death received the 1995 National Book Council's Banjo Award for non-fiction. He was the foundation president of the International Association of Bioethics.
"... a welcome guide, one that at present has no equal."
--American Society for Aesthetics Newsletter
Blackwell Publisher's Web Site, May, 2000
View Table of Contents
Introduction. Acknowledgments. List of contributors.
Part I: The Roots:
1. The Origin of Ethics: Mary Midgley. 2. Ethics in Small-Scale Societies: George Silberbauer. 3. Ancient Ethics: Gerald A. Larue.
Part II: The Great Ethical Traditions:
4. Indian Ethics: Purusottama Bilimoria. 5. Buddhist Ethics: Padmasiri de Silva. 6. Classical Chinese Ethics: Chad Hansen. 7. Jewish Ethics: Menachem Kellner. 8. Christian Ethics: Ronald Preston. 9. Islamic Ethics: Azim Nanji.
Part III: Western Philosophical Ethics : A Short History:
10. Ethics in Ancient Greece: Christopher Rowe. 11. Medieval and Renaissance Ethics: John Haldane. 12. Modern Moral Philosophy: J. B. Schneewind.
Part IV: How Ought I Live?:
13. Natural Law: Stephen Buckle. 14. Kantian Ethics: Onora O'Neill. 15. The Social Contract Tradition: Will Kymlicka. 16. Egoism: Kurt Baier. 17. Contemporary Deontology: Nancy (Ann) Davis. 18. An Ethic of Prima Facie Duties: Jonathan Dancy. 19. Consequentialism: Philip Pettit. 20. Utility and the Good: Robert E. Goodin. 21. Virtue Theory: Greg Pence. 22. Rights: Brenda Almond.
Part V : Applications:
23. World Poverty: Nigel Dower. 24. Environmental Ethics: Robert Elliot. 25. Euthanasia: Helga Kuhse. 26. Abortion: Mary Anne Warren. 27. Sex: Raymond A. Belliotti 28. Personal Relationships: Hugh Lafollette. 29. Equality, Discrimination and Preferential Treatment: Bernard R. Boxill. 30. Animals: Lori Gruen. 31. Business Ethics: Robert C. Solomon. 32. Crime and Punishment: C. L. Ten. 33. Politics and the Problem of Dirty Hands: C. A. J. Coady. 34. War and Peace: Jeff McMahan.
Part VI: The Nature of Ethics:
35. Realism: Michael Smith. 36. Intuitionism: Jonathan Dancy. 37. Naturalism: Charles R. Pigden. 38. Subjectivism: James Rachels. 39. Relativism: David Wong. 40. Universal Prescriptivism: R. M. Hare. 41. Morality and Psychological Development: Laurence Thomas. 42. Method and Moral Theory: Dale Jamieson.
Part VII: Challenge and Critique:
43. The Idea of a Female Ethic. 44. The Significance of Evolution. 45. Marx Against Morality. 46. How Could Ethics Depend on Religion?: Jonathan Berg. 47. The Implications of Determinism: Robert Young.
Barnes & Noble.com Various Shipping Locations, USA
Brand new, ships from the closest shipping location to your shipping address!
$29.00 +$3.99 s/h
Georgia Book Company Chickamauga, GA
PAPERBACK New 0631187855 1993 COPYRIGHT MULTIPLE COPIES AVAILABLE NEW-CRISP AND CLEAN-EXPERIENCE AMAZING CUSTOMER SERVICE-WE SHIP DAILY.
$30.97 +$3.99 s/h
EuroBooks Horcott Rd, Fairford,
New Book. Shipped from UK within 10 to 14 business days. Established seller since 2000.
$31.17 +$3.99 s/h
Textbookcenter.com Columbia, MO
Ships same day or next business day! UPS(AK/HI Priority Mail)/ NEW book
$32.02 +$3.99 s/h
GreatBookPrices Westminster, MD
Brand New, Perfect Condition, Please allow 4-14 business days for delivery. 100% Money Back Guarantee, Over 1,000,000 customers served.
$42.83 +$3.99 s/h
indoo Avenel, NJ
$48.07 +$3.99 s/h
TextbookBarn Agoura Hills, CA
0631187855 Premium Publisher Direct Books are Like New or Brand New books direct from the publisher sometimes at a discount. Multiple copies are usually available. These books are not available for ...show moreexpedited shipping and may take up to 14 business days to receive. ...show less
$49.57 +$3.99 s/h
Premier Books BN Romulus, MI
0631187855 Brand New. Exact book as advertised. Delivery in 4-14 business days (not calendar days). We are not able to expedite delivery.
$51.95 +$3.99 s/h
Dominion Bookstore Norfolk, VA
1993 Paperback New
$52.95 +$3.99 s/h
Labyrinthbooks Pennington, NJ
$63.99 +$3.99 s/h
El Pinarillo Books Morden,
1993 Paperback New Book New and in stock. *****PLEASE NOTE: This item is shipping from an authorized seller in Europe. In the event that a return is necessary, you will be able to return your item w...show moreithin the US. To learn more about our European sellers and policies see the BookQuest FAQ section***** ...show less
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.