Summary: For courses in alternative therapies as well as issues and trends courses, and continuing education courses for nurses. Edition/Copyright: 2ND 05
Providing a comprehensive overview of alternative health practices and complementary therapies from a nursing perspective, this enlightening and informative resource covers the principles, techniques, research, health promotion methods and healing practices for specific illnesses and symptoms. This second edition incorporates the latest r ...show moreesearch findings, expanded resource sections, additional photographs, and thoroughly updated material.
- NEW - "Using Research to Heal" feature--Presents current students to further critical thinking.
- Inspires students to design studies to answer their questions.
- NEW - Updated resource section--Includes resources from Canada & Great Britain.
- Incorporates a more global approach to reflect the growing interest in and use of alternative therapies.
- NEW - Updated research section.
- Leads students to all of the latest research findings.
- NEW - Expanded chapter on herbs and nutrition.
- Incorporates new research findings and a table on herb/drug interaction.
- Integrated nursing practice chapter sections--Provides specific information on and suggestions for implementing alternative healing therapies into Western health care systems.
- Helps students understand the role of alternative practices in the current health care system.
- Comparison of philosophical approaches--Introduces the philosophical approaches to both Western biomedicine and alternative or complementary medicine; defines and discusses such common concepts as energy, breath, spirituality, and healing.
- Provides a basis of comparison and allows students to relate what they know and understand about Western Practices to alternative practices.
- Systematized health care practices--Considers an entire set of values, attitudes, and beliefs that generate a philosophy of treatment, not simply a group of remedies.
- Acknowledges the holistic aspects of alternative approaches to care.
- Botanical healing--Covers herbs and nutritional supplements, naturopathy, homeopathy, and aromatherapy.
- Exposes students to healing methods used by 80% of the world's population.
- Manual healing methods--Examines chiropractic, massage therapy, pressure point therapies, hand-mediated biofield therapies, and physical-biofield therapies.
- Enlightens students to some of our most ancient healing techniques, and demonstrates their impact and staying power in health care today.
- Mind-body techniques--Includes discussions on yoga, meditation, hypnotherapy and imagery, dreams, biofeedback, and movement-oriented therapies.
- Demonstrates the variety of alternative practices for healing and health promotion.
- Spiritual approaches--Looks at working with shamans and the use of faith and prayer.
- Helps students understand the power and significant therapeutic value of ancient principles and practices.
- Alternative therapies--Considers such practices as bioelectromagnetics, detoxifying therapies, and animals assisted therapy.
- Makes students aware of current ideas and options available in alternative healing.
- "Try This" boxed feature--Includes discussions on focused breathing, visualization, emotional first aid, improving dream recall, absorbing earth energy, interacting with your pet, and more.
- Gives students an example of how alternative therapies can be integrated into their own lives.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Other Editions of Complementary and Alternative Therapies for Nursing Practice: