ISBN13:978-0495505808 ISBN10: 0495505803 This edition has also been released as: ISBN13: 978-0495506546 ISBN10: 0495506540
Summary: CONCEPTS OF CHEMICAL DEPENDENCY, Seventh Edition reflects the explosion of information regarding the understanding, identification, and treatment of addictive disorders. Doweiko examines the use and abuse of alcohol, tobacco, barbiturates, amphetamines, cocaine, opiates, and hallucinogens, as well as chemicals frequently left out of other books -- such as aerosols, steroids, and over-the-counter analgesics. Additionally, the text investigates solid strategies for working with clients
, the differences between abusers and addicts; drug effects on children, teenagers, and pregnant and nursing women; and children of alcoholics.
Summary: CONCEPTS OF CHEMICAL DEPENDENCY, Seventh Edition reflects the explosion of information regarding the understanding, identification, and treatment of addictive disorders. Doweiko examines the use and abuse of alcohol, tobacco, barbiturates, amphetamines, cocaine, opiates, and hallucinogens, as well as chemicals frequently left out of other books -- such as aerosols, steroids, and over-the-counter analgesics. Additionally, the text investigates solid strategies for working with clients, the differences between abusers and addicts; drug effects on children, teenagers, and pregnant and nursing women; and children of alcoholics. ...show less
Edition/Copyright:7TH 09 Cover: Paperback Publisher:Brooks/Cole Publishing Co. Year Published: 2009 International: No
View Table of Contents
1. Why Worry About Recreational Chemical Abuse?
2. Statement of the Problem of Substance Abuse Disorders.
3. The Medical Model of Chemical Addiction.
4. Psychosocial Models of Substance Use Disorders.
5. Addiction as a Disease of the Human Spirit.
6. An Introduction to Pharmacology.
7. Alcohol: The Oldest Recreational Chemical.
8. Chronic Alcohol Abuse and Addiction.
9. Abuse and Addiction to the Barbiturates and Barbiturate-like Drugs.
10. Abuse of and Addiction to Benzodiazepines and Similar Agents.
11. Abuse of and Addiction to Amphetamines and CNS Stimulants.
13. Marijuana Abuse and Addiction.
14. Opioid Abuse/Addiction.
15. Hallucinogen Abuse and Addiction.
16. Abuse of and Addiction to the Inhalants and Aerosols.
17. The Unrecognized Problem of Steroid Abuse and Addiction.
18. The Over-the Counter Analgesics: Unexpected Agents of Abuse.
19. Tobacco Products and Nicotine Addiction.
20. Chemicals and the Neonate: The Consequences of Drug Abuse During Pregnancy.
21. Gender and Substance Abuse Disorders.
22. The Hidden Faces of Chemical Dependency.
23. Chemical Abuse by Children and Adolescents.
24. The Dual-Diagnosis Clien: Chemical Addiction and Mental Illness.
25. Codependency and Enabling.
26. Addiction and the Family.
27. The Evaluation of Substance Use Problems.
28. The Process of Intervention.
29. The Treatment of Chemical Dependency.
30. The Process of Recovery.
31. Treatment Formats for Chemical-Dependency Rehabilitation.
32. Problems Frequently Encountered in the Treatment of Chemical Dependency.
33. Pharmacological Intervention Tactics and Substance Abuse.
34. Substance Abuse/Addiction and Infectious Disease.
Order this book in the next 18 hours and 10 minutes and it ships by Noon CT Monday!
New Currently Sold Out
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.