Summary: Constructing the American Pastexplores U.S. history through letters, articles, journalistic sources, photographs and posters. This book achieves a level of inclusion and depth rarely found in other primary source collections. Each chapter focuses on a particular problem or moment in American history, and provides readers with several points of view. The photographs, posters and maps included also ask the reader to ldquo;readrdquo; the visual sources of American history. Explores
U.S. history through letters, articles, journalistic sources, photographs, and posters. U.S History Primary Sources. Anyone interested in exploring US History through documents, letters, articles, and other primary sources.
Summary: Constructing the American Pastexplores U.S. history through letters, articles, journalistic sources, photographs and posters. This book achieves a level of inclusion and depth rarely found in other primary source collections. Each chapter focuses on a particular problem or moment in American history, and provides readers with several points of view. The photographs, posters and maps included also ask the reader to ldquo;readrdquo; the visual sources of American history. Explores U.S. history through letters, articles, journalistic sources, photographs, and posters. U.S History Primary Sources. Anyone interested in exploring US History through documents, letters, articles, and other primary sources. ...show less
Edition/Copyright:6TH 08 Cover: Paperback Publisher:Longman, Inc. Year Published: 2008 International: No
View Table of Contents
Volume II (Each Chapter begins with "Historical Context" and concludes with "Postscript Questions," "Defining Terms," "Probing the Sources," "Interpreting the Sources," and "Additional Reading." Preface. Introduction.
1. Reconstruction and the Rise of the Ku Klux Klan. Initiation Oath of the Knights of White Camelia. Testimony of Victims of the Ku Klux Klan. Congressional Inquiry into Klan Activities. Hon. Job E. Stevenson of Ohio,Speech to the House of Representatives. Benjamin Bryant, FromExperience of a Northern Man Among the Ku-Klux. W.H. Gannon, "How to Extirpate Ku-Kluxism from the South."
2. The Great Strike of 1877. "Fair Wages" by a Striker. "The Recent Strikes" by the President of the Pennsylvania Railroad. Allan Pinkerton, fromStrikers, Communists, Tramps and Detectives. Samuel Gompers, "...A Declaration of Protest in the Name of American Manhood..." Marry Harris "Mother" Jones, "The Great Uprising." Henry Ward Beecher, "There Is No Rich Class and No Working Class Under the Law."
3. When Cultures Collide: Wounded Knee. Z.A. Parker, "The Ghost Dance Observed." Letters from Reservations by United States Agents. Selwyn's Interview with Kuwapi, "...No White People in the Other World..." "...Indians Armed to the Teeth..." "...Defrauding Us of Vested Rights..." Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, 1891. Three Letters by Military Leaders. Eyewitness Reports of Indians Interviewed by the Office of Indian Affairs. Government and Military Statements on Wounded Knee.
4. New Americans: The Immigrants. Jacob Riis, "Little Italy." Rocco Corresca, "The Biography of a Bootblack." Jacob Riis, "Chinatown." Lee Chew, "The Biography of a Chinaman." Jacob Riis, "Jewtown." Rose Schneiderman, "A Cap Maker's Story."
5. Building an Empire: America and the Philippines. Albert J. Beveridge, "The March of the Flag." William Graham Sumner, "The Conquest of the United States by Spain." Theodore Roosevelt, "The Strenuous Life." Press Opposition to the War. Theodore Roosevelt, "National Duties". Proceedings of the Congressional Committee on the Philippines.
6. The Woman Rebel: Margaret Sanger and the Birth Control Movement. Margaret Sanger, FromThe Woman Rebel. Anthony Comstock's Views on Birth Control. Margaret Sanger, FromThe Case for Birth Control.
Other Editions of Constructing American Past, Volume 2:
Order this book in the next 10 hours and 9 minutes and it ships by Noon CT today!
New Currently Sold Out
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.