This edition has also been released as:
Summary: The most comprehensive text in Consumer Health, this edition continues to provide a vast amount of information to enable consumers to choose health products and services intelligently. New texts now come packaged with Health and Human Performance Power Web!
New to This Edition
- Explores the influence of the Internet on today's health care in a new chapter.
- Places icons throughout ...show morethe text to refer the reader to the wealth of resources that can be found on Dr. Barrett's consumer health site Quackwatch.com.
- Expands coverage of key topics such as the Internet, dietary supplements and herbs.
- Features the latest information including the U.S. Preventative Task Force Guidelines in Chapter 5: Science-Based Health Care, a thorough discussion of the new food labels, and the latest U.S. Dietary Guidelines in Chapter 11: Basic Nutrition Concepts.
- Offers a special web site (Consumer Health Sourcebook http://www.chsourcebook.com), which contains links to journal abstracts and full-text articles cited in the text.
- Provides adopters of the text with a free weekly e-mail newsletter (Consumer Health Digest), which includes summaries of relevant news and links to source documents.
- Uses a list of common consumer health decisions, summaries of the vast amount of misleading information today, and a section on consumer protective forces and their functions and limitations to introduce the reader to consumer health in Chapter 1: Consumer Health Issues.
- Provides current, focused web-based information with exercises, by packaging a passcard providing access to Power Web, with the text.
...show lessEdition/Copyright: 7TH 02
- Discusses over 80 potentially preventable diseases informing consumers of what interventions are science-based and cost-effective.
- Includes updated and timely information on managed care, the need for health care reform, and the rapidly changing insurance marketplace in Chapter 24: Health Insurance.
- Encourages readers to make wise choices about personal health care with features such as "It's Your Decision" and "Personal Glimpse" boxes, and "Consumer Tips" boxes that provide quick, buffeted lists and suggestions to follow when making decisions.
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Publishing Company
Year Published: 2002
Other Editions of Consumer Health : A Guide to Intelligent Decisions: