Summary: This proven 13th Edition text, presents an arithmetic-based, basic approach to business math. It emphasizes practical skill-building to prepare students for future careers in business through step-by-step development of concepts, numerous practice exercises throughout, and a focus on real-world application of techniques. The text advances from most basic to more complex business math topics. A brief version is also available.
...show moreg:0px;padding-left:10px;margin:0px;'> ...show lessEdition/Copyright: 13TH 03
- NEW!-Organization: There is now one chapter on basic mathematical functions with decimals, titled "Decimals" (chapter 4), and the two chapters on fractions have also been combined into one, "Fractions" (chapter 5). The chapter on percents has been moved up as chapter 6, "Percents in Business."
- "BOTTOM LINE" end-of-chapter features: They tie each learning objective to self-test problems (with answers). Students have the opportunity to check whether they have mastered the chapter's key skills before moving on to the assignments.
- Learning Objectives integrated throughout the text: Learning Objective icons call out the locations throughout the chapter where each Learning Objective is addressed, helping students to focus on key topics from the very beginning and throughout each chapter for better assimilation.
- Highly successful step-by-step problem-solving approach: It presents short, concise text sections followed by examples with step-by-step solutions. Students learn mathematical concepts by immediately applying practical solutions to common business problems, and gain confidence in their own problem-solving skills by studying the way example problems are worked out.
- Real World Examples and Problems: Abundant practical business problems and high-interest business examples with many real companies help students relate to the material better as they see how it is applied to everyday life.
- Exceptional method for solving word problems: This proven method appears in (Ch. 2), metrics (Ch. 3), and business statistics (Ch. 27). Algebra appears in 2 different chapters (Ch. 2 - a brief exposure to algebra; Ch. 28 - a heavier concentration on algebra) so that instructors can choose the way they wish to teach their course.
- NEW!-Cyber Connections: These new Internet features are interspersed throughout the chapters as well as at the end of each chapter, and most include a problem that is answered at the end of the text. These features enhance the text coverage with real world math-related issues and show students how mathematics is woven through our daily lives.
- NEW!-Internet Margin Notes: Internet margin notes are included in each chapter, and all are available on the text Web Site as links for quick access.
- NEW!-Visit the Web: This feature provides a list of Web sites relevant to the chapter material that students may visit for additional information, for more depth, or simply to see how chapter topics are applied in the real world.
- NEW!-Self-Check Review Problems: Located at the end of each chapter, they provide yet another opportunity for students to test themselves before completing the end-of-chapter assignments. Answers are provided at the end of the text.
- NEW!-Video Icons: Videos icons are placed where appropriate throughout the text to direct students to the video clips available on the CD-ROM that comes with the text.
- NEW!-Student Web Site: The text's Web Site is better than ever, with Online Quizzes, the Business Math Handbook, links to all of the text Internet addresses, and much more---all designed to contribute to a student's success in business math.
- Real World Chapter Openers: Internet-based chapter openers highlight nationally-recognized companies' Web sites. These scenarios discuss some aspect about the company related either to the chapter topic or a career opportunity, demonstrating the real-world applicability of the chapter's subject and highlighting the use of computers in today's business environment.
- Concept Chapters: Following each major chapter section, the concept checks provide students with the opportunity to immediately assess their understanding and ability to apply the material they've just learned.
Publisher: South-Western Publishing Co.
Year Published: 2003
Other Editions of Contemporary Business Mathematics for College / With 2 CDs: