Summary: For introductory courses (usually sophomore-level) in analytical chemistry or quantitative analysis. Written to address the needs of students from a broad range of disciplines, this text provides a readable yet rigorous introduction to analytical methods with a focus on problem-solving skills. It stresses the fundamental concepts of chemical analysis and, through examples from current journals and other science media, shows how the principles and practice of ...show more analytical chemistry are used to produce answers to questions in all areas of scientific study and practice. Features Edition/Copyright: 98
- This leaner treatment of the subject emphasizes principles throughout.
- Offers a consistent, flexible chapter structure to accommodate the needs of individual courses and instructors. Each chapter:
- First introduces a technique and its nomenclature (recommended by the IUPAC).
- Then considers introductory topics.
- The depth of coverage can then be increased by assigning the deeper look sections at the ends of the chapters.
- Features a balance of topics that is closer to contemporary analytical practice than those covered by other texts.
- Introduces the tools that are ubiquitous in analytical chemistry, e.g., statistics, sampling and sample preparation.
- Considers the principles of chemical equilibria, which also underlie both "wet" and instrumental analytical methods.
- These chapters are designed not only to illustrate the calculations needed but to understand the behavior of the various equilibria that affect the results of experiments.
- Discusses methods depending on chemical kinetics which are so widely used in medicine and biology.
- Introduces instrumental methods of spectrometry and separations.
- Considers issues involved in sampling and sample preparation.
- Recognizes that, with the advances in contemporary instrumentation, the limiting factor in many cases is the quality of the sampling/sample preparation steps of an analysis.
- Includes coverage of electroseparations especially important in the areas of biochemistry, medicine, and molecular biology.
- Provides an abundance of problems and applications from contemporary real-world work situations.
- Discusses the factors that must be taken into consideration in order to approach them effectively.
- Contains numerous worked examples and a mix of simple and multiple-step problems at the end of each chapter.
- Contains conceptual review questions at end of each chapter.
- Features "Analytical Chemistry in Action" boxes in each chapter, illustrating the uses of techniques introduced.
- Includes an extensive list of acronyms.
- Includes 5-30 numerical problems per chapter.
- Features a number of problems that call for the use of a spreadsheet to generate data, which is then plotted to show trends.
- Answers for all numerical problems in an appendix.
- Includes annotated bibliographies for each chapter.
- Includes a unique partial list of incompatible chemicals in an appendix.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Year Published: 1998