Summary: Featuring some of the most esteemed writers of our time, this new anthology brings together 60 diverse works of contemporary creative nonfiction.Edition/Copyright: 05
Including memoirs, personal essays, literary journalism, and essays on craft, this collection brings unique insight to the "I" and "Eye" of contemporary creative nonfiction. With noted authors like Annie Dillard, Scott Russell Sanders, Alice Walker, Tom Wolfe, David Sedaris, Margaret Atwood, a ...show morend Saul Bellow, this text offers excellent models of this emerging field.
- Organized by themes-"Portraits," "Nature and Science," "Culture and Society," and "Creativity and the Arts," the readings in each unit are subdivided under headings "The I," "The Eye," and "Craft Essays."
- The text's introduction provides information on the history and development of contemporary creative nonfiction; background on what comprises personal nonfiction, memoir, and literary journalism; a discussion on the idea of truth; and craft considerations such as structure, style, and the use of literary elements.
- An introduction to each section provides background context on personal and journalistic creative nonfiction within each subject, with an emphasis on stylistic concerns such as voice and form.
- Inspired by and drawing upon many of the essays in the text, Appendix I offers 20 substantial and adaptable Writing Prompts, arranged to serve as springboards for student writing.
- Appendix II Suggestions for Further Reading along with the author bios that precede each piece in the book, points students to first-rate memoirs, essay collections and books of literary journalism, arranged in sections that match the organization of the book.
Publisher: Longman, Inc.