Summary: Contemporary Human Behavior Theory: A Critical Perspective for Social Work, 2/e is the first HSBE text to approach the subject from a comparative theory perspective, providing coverage of the most current and contemporary theories as well as traditional theories. Edition/Copyright: 2ND 06
A consistent framework for analysis is provided for all of the theoretical systems that are covered. This text encourages students to develop critical thinking skills in analyzing and comparing th ...show moreeories, and includes contemporary developments in traditional lifespan theory, theories of political economy, and a separate chapter on transpersonal theory (Ch. 12). Each chapter includes coverage of the research that supports a particular theory, an analysis of the validity of that research, and a discussion of updated ''Contemporary Issues.''
New To This Edition
- Takes a comparative theory approach, with coverage of both historical and contemporary perspectives on each theory.
- Provides a consistent framework for analysis of all theories in every chapter.
- Utilizes unique flowcharts to provide visual demonstrations of how theory is applied to practice.
- Includes coverage of oppression, social justice and spirituality.
- Provides an extended case example in Chapter 13, to illustrate how the various theories can be applied to a single case.
- Presents research supporting each theory, along with philosophical and methodological assumptions and an analysis of whether the theory is supported by the research.
- New features to the Second Edition include updated content in all chapters, as well as new content on:
- Neurobiology, neurotransmission and behavior
- Feminist Standpoint Theory
- Theories of bisexual and transgender identity development
- The role of shame in women's development
- Ethnic/cultural identity development and cultural competence
- New theoretical content added to the textbook represents the most contemporary and cutting edge content in theory that is not usually found in other human behavior or theory textbooks.
Publisher: Allyn & Bacon, Inc.
Year Published: 2006