Summary: Explore today's challenging moral terrain with James White's CONTEMPORARY MORAL PROBLEMS. The ninth edition examines the compelling and contentious debate over society's most pressing ethical controversies. This anthology covers divergent viewpoints on many timely issues and introduces you to the major theories in the history of Western ethics. This balanced collection features carefully chosen readings on classic topics such as abortion, euthanasia, and capital punishment. It also e
ngages students in current debates about global warming, torture, war and terrorism, and same-sex marriage. Fourteen new reading selections in this edition ensure up-to-date coverage of contemporary moral issues. This book's well-crafted introductions to each chapter and reading; emphasis on opposing viewpoints; probing review and discussion questions; and provocative case studies ensure that you will develop a rich understanding of ethical theories and the issues to which they apply. Depend on this accessible, comprehensive anthology to engage you in a lively and informed discussion of contemporary ethics.
Summary: Explore today's challenging moral terrain with James White's CONTEMPORARY MORAL PROBLEMS. The ninth edition examines the compelling and contentious debate over society's most pressing ethical controversies. This anthology covers divergent viewpoints on many timely issues and introduces you to the major theories in the history of Western ethics. This balanced collection features carefully chosen readings on classic topics such as abortion, euthanasia, and capital punishment. It also engages students in current debates about global warming, torture, war and terrorism, and same-sex marriage. Fourteen new reading selections in this edition ensure up-to-date coverage of contemporary moral issues. This book's well-crafted introductions to each chapter and reading; emphasis on opposing viewpoints; probing review and discussion questions; and provocative case studies ensure that you will develop a rich understanding of ethical theories and the issues to which they apply. Depend on this accessible, comprehensive anthology to engage you in a lively and informed discussion of contemporary ethics. ...show less
Edition/Copyright:9TH 09 Cover: Paperback Publisher:Wadsworth, Inc Published: 01/03/2008 International: No
View Table of Contents
Preface. 1. ETHICAL THEORIES. Introduction. James Rachels: Egoism and Moral Scepticism. John Arthur: Religion, Morality, and Conscience. Saint Thomas Aquinas: The Natural Law. David Hume: Morality is Based on Sentiment Mary Midgley: Trying Out Oneï¿½s New Sword. John Stuart Mill: Utilitarianism. Immanuel Kant: The Categorical Imperative. Aristotle: Happiness and Virtue. John Rawls: A Theory of Justice. Jean Grimshaw: The Idea of a Female Ethic. Problem Cases. Suggested Readings.
2. ABORTION. Introduction. The U.S. Supreme Court: Roe v. Wade (1973). John T. Noonan, Jr.: An Almost Absolute Value in History. Judith Jarvis Thomson: A Defense of Abortion. Mary Anne Warren: On the Moral and Legal Status of Abortion Sidney Callahan: Abortion and the Sexual Agenda. Don Marquis: An Argument that Abortion is Wrong. Problem Cases. Suggested Readings.
3. EUTHANASIA AND THE DUTY TO DIE. Introduction. James Rachels: Active and Passive Euthanasia. Bonnie Steinbock: The Intentional Termination of Life. Phillippa Foot: Killing and Letting Die. John Harris: The Survival Lottery. John Hardwig: Is There a Duty to Die? Problem Cases. Suggested Readings.
4. CAPITAL PUNISHMENT. Introduction. The U.S. Supreme Court: Gregg v. Georgia (1976). Immanuel Kant: The Retributive Theory of Punishment. Ernest van den Haag: The Ultimate Punishment. Jeffrey H. Reiman: Justice, Civilization, and the Death Penalty. David Gelernter: What Do Murderers Deserve? Problem Cases. Suggested Readings.
5. GAY RIGHTS AND SAME-SEX MARRIAGE. Introduction Martha Nussbaum: Gay Rights Jeff Jordan: Is it Wrong to Discriminate on the Basis of Homosexuality? Jonathan Rauch: Who Needs Marriage? Maggie Gallagher: What Marriage is For. Problem Cases. Suggested Readings.
6. DRUGS AND ADDICTION. Introduction. Thomas Szasz: The Ethics of Addiction. U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration: Speaking Out. Against Drug Legalization. Daniel Shapiro: Addiction and Drug Policy. Robert E. Goodin: The Ethics of Smoking. Problem Cases. Suggested Readings.
7. THE MORAL STATUS OF ANIMALS. Introduction. Immanuel Kant: Our Duties to Animals. Peter Singer: All Animals Are Equal. Tom Regan: The Case for Animal Rights. Mary Anne Warren: Difficulties with the Strong Animal Rights Position. Problem Cases. Suggested Readings.
8. GLOBAL WARMING AND CONSUMPTION. Introduction Robert Hood: Global Warming Bjorn Lomborg: The Cost of Global Warming. Alan Thein Durning: The Environmental Costs of Consumption. Peter Singer: Famine, Affluence, and Morality. Problem Cases. Suggested Readings.
9. WAR AND TERRORISM. Introduction. Douglas P. Lackey: Pacifism. William V. Oï¿½Brien: The Conduct of Just and Limited War Louise Richardson: What is Terrorism? Laurie Calhoun: The Terroristï¿½s Tacit Message Claudia Card: Questions Regarding a War on Terrorism. David Luban: The War on Terrorism and the End of Human Rights. Problem Cases. Suggested Readings.
10. TORTURE. Introduction. Henry Shue: Torture David Luban: Torture and the Ticking Bomb. Heather MacDonald: How to Interrogate Terrorists. Problem Cases. Suggested Readings.
Barnes & Noble.com Various Shipping Locations, USA
Brand new, ships from the closest shipping location to your shipping address!
$1.99 +$3.99 s/h
One Planet Books Columbia, MO
Ships same day or next business day! UPS expedited shipping available (Priority Mail for AK/HI/AOP/PO Boxes). NEW book
$32.27 +$3.99 s/h
GreatBookPrices Batavia, IL
Brand New, Perfect Condition, Please allow 4-14 business days for delivery. 100% Money Back Guarantee, Over 1,000,000 customers served.
$32.28 +$3.99 s/h
Books Revisited Chatham, NJ
Brand New Item.
$36.00 +$3.99 s/h
KAKBooks San Marino, CA
2008 Trade paperback 9th edition. ISBN 0495553204 New. NEW, 9th edition. ISBN 0495553204. Minor shelf wear Trade paperback (US). Glued binding. 504 p. Contains: Illustrations. Audience: General/trad...show moree. NEW, 9th edition. ISBN 0495553204. Minor shelf wear ...show less
$67.90 +$3.99 s/h
Textbookcenter.com Columbia, MO
Ships same day or next business day! UPS(AK/HI Priority Mail)/ NEW book
$139.47 +$3.99 s/h
PenguinXpress Youngstown, OH
2008 Paperback New In Stock. Ships within 1 business day from Ohio, United States. Expedited shipping available. We only ship within the contiental US. All book sales guaranteed. Our business has b...show moreeen selling quality books for over 100 years. ...show less
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.