Summary: Respected for its detailed guidance in using technology, CONTEMPORARY PRECALCULUS: A GRAPHING APPROACH, Fifth Edition, is written from the ground up to be used with graphing calculators that you may be using in your precalculus course. You'll appreciate that the text has also long been recognized for its careful, thorough explanations and its presentation of mathematics in an informal yet mathematically precise manner. The authors also emphasize the all-important ''why?'' of mathemat
ics--which is addressed in both the exposition and in the exercise sets by focusing on algebraic, graphical, and numerical perspectives.
Summary: Respected for its detailed guidance in using technology, CONTEMPORARY PRECALCULUS: A GRAPHING APPROACH, Fifth Edition, is written from the ground up to be used with graphing calculators that you may be using in your precalculus course. You'll appreciate that the text has also long been recognized for its careful, thorough explanations and its presentation of mathematics in an informal yet mathematically precise manner. The authors also emphasize the all-important ''why?'' of mathematics--which is addressed in both the exposition and in the exercise sets by focusing on algebraic, graphical, and numerical perspectives. ...show less
1. BASICS. The Real Number System. Special Topics: Decimal Representation of Real Numbers. Solving Equations Algebraically. Special Topics: Absolute Value Equations. Special Topics: Variation. The Coordinate Plane. Lines. Discovery Project: Modeling the Real World with Lines.
2. GRAPHS AND TECHNOLOGY. Graphs. Solving Equations Graphically and Numerically. Applications of Equations. Optimization Applications. Linear Models. Discovery Project: Supply and Demand.
3. FUNCTIONS AND GRAPHS. Functions. Function Notation. Graphs of Functions. Special Topics: Graph Reading. Graphs and Transformations. Special Topics: Symmetry. Operations on Functions. Rates of Change. Inverse Functions. Discovery Project: Feedback: Good and Bad.
4. POLYNOMIAL AND RATIONAL FUNCTIONS. Quadratic Functions. Polynomial Functions. Special Topics: Synthetic Division. Real Roots of Polynomials. Graphs of Polynomial Functions. Special Topics: Polynomial Models. Rational Functions. Special Topics: Other Rational Functions. Polynomial and Rational Inequalities. Special Topics: Absolute Value Inequalities. Complex Numbers. Theory of Equations. Discovery Project: Architectural Arches.
5. EXPONENTIAL AND LOGARITHMIC FUNCTIONS. Radicals and Rational Exponents. Special Topics: Radical Equations. Exponential Functions. Special Topics: Compound Interest and the Number e. Common and Natural Logarithmic Functions. Properties of Logarithms. Special Topics: Logarithmic Functions to Other Bases. Algebraic Solutions of Exponential and Logarithmic Equations. Exponential, Logarithmic, and Other Models. Discovery Project: Exponential and Logistic Modeling of Diseases.
6. TRIGONOMETRIC FUNCTIONS. Angles and Their Measurement. The Sine, Cosine, and Tangent Functions. Alternate: The Sine, Cosine, and Tangent Functions. Algebra and Identities. Basic Graphs. Periodic Graphs and Simple Harmonic Motion. Special Topics: Other Trigonometric Graphs. Other Trigonometric Functions. Discovery Project: Pistons and Flywheels.
7. TRIGONOMETRIC IDENTITIES AND EQUATIONS. Basic Identities and Proofs. Addition and Subtraction Identities. Special Topics: Lines and Angles. Other Identities. Inverse Trigonometric Functions. Trigonometric Equations. Discovery Project: The Sun and the Moon.
8. TRIANGLE TRIGONOMETRY. Trigonometric Functions of Angles. Alternate: Trigonometric Functions of Angles. Applications of Right Triangle Trigonometry. The Law of Cosines. The Law of Sines. Special Topics: The Area of a Triangle. Discovery Project: Life on a Sphere.
9. APPLICATIONS OF TRIGONOMETRY. The Complex Plane and Polar Form for Complex Numbers. DeMoivreï¿½ s Theorem and nth Roots of Complex Numbers. Vectors in the Plane. The Dot Product. Discovery Project: Surveying.
10. ANALYTIC GEOMETRY. Circles and Ellipses. Hyperbolas. Parabolas. Rotations and Second-Degree Equations. Special Topics: Rotation of Axes. Plane Curves and Parametric Equations. Polar Coordinates. Polar Equations of Conics. Discovery Project: Designing Machines to Make Designs.
11. SYSTEMS OF EQUATIONS. Systems of Linear Equations in Two Variables. Special Topics: Systems of Nonlinear Equations. Large Systems of Linear Equations. Matrix Methods for Square Systems. Discovery Project: Input-Output Analysis.
12. DISCRETE ALGEBRA. Sequences and Sums. Arithmetic Sequences. Geometric Sequences. Special Topics: Infinite Series. The Binomial Theorem. Mathematical Induction. Discovery Project: Taking Your Chances.
13. LIMITS AND CONTINUITY. Limits of Functions. Properties of Limits. Special Topics: The Formal Definition of Limit. Continuity. Limits Involving Infinity. Discovery Project: Black Holes.
Barnes & Noble.com Various Shipping Locations, USA
Brand new, ships from the closest shipping location to your shipping address!
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.