Summary: This unique text presents the most current biological and behavioral theories of mental illness. The emphasis is on the practical application of information to help students understand the experience of what it means to have a particular disorder, how it feels to be on psychotropic medication, and to participate in specific therapies.
...show lessEdition/Copyright: 98
- Comprehensive text with contemporary psych ...show moreobiological approach explores biochemical, genetic, environmental, and organic theories of the etiology of psychiatric disorders
- Chapter on using the nursing process in the context of psychiatric nursing
- Application of knowledge in clinical and community practice settings emphasized
- A chapter is included for each of the major therapeutic treatments, plus comprehensive coverage of psychopharmacology with case studies for each drug class
- Nursing care plans and critical pathways included
- Care is organized for acute and chronic patients in both hospital and community settings
- Each chapter begins with learning objectives, chapter outlines, and list of key terms and ends with key points, case studies, questions to stimulate critical thinking, and references
- Each disorder includes DSM-IV criteria for diagnosis
- Summary of recent research in sidebar format, plus suggestions for future research
- Cultural diversity addressed in assessment chapter and in each of the disorder chapters as appropriate
- Four-color insert illustrates normal and abnormal anatomy and physiology and includes examples of different neuroimaging techniques
Publisher: F. A. Davis Co.
Year Published: 1998