This conversation text implements a dynamic, learner-centered approach that encourages students to use Spanish to resolve meaningful and emotionally charged conflicts. A carefully crafted pedagogical apparatus featuring Conversaciones creadoras mini-dramas, written by renowned Spanish novelist Carmen Martín Gaite, challenges students to become active participants in the learning process.
- Integration of grammar promotes resourceful use of language by presenting new Enlace gramatical review sections, correlated to the creative conversations in each chapter, which highlight and practice a grammar point.
- More listening practice now features listening icons highlighted in the Vocabulario básico, Conversación creadora, and A escuchar sections of each chapter, referring students to the new in-text Audio CDs to support pronunciation, reinforce speech patterns and promote cultural and linguistic awareness through unscripted interviews with native speakers.
- Engaging Mini-dramas prompt students to respond by devising their own original endings to these unfinished vignettes, while supportive practice checks their comprehension and builds inferential skills.
- Opportunities for cross-cultural comparison include additional information to enrich the material on the countries and regions of Hispanic America, thought-provoking comprehension questions, and expansion activities that initiate research on Spanish-language web sites.
- Interactive task-based practice fosters creative expression through personalized questions, activities and projects for pair and small group work, thematic role-play activities centered on information-gap situations, illustration- and realia-based exercises, and topics for class discussion and/or writing assignments.
- Practical approach to building active vocabulary encourages students to create personal lexicons and to broaden their vocabulary base by using optional words and expressions to complete chapter assignments. Exercises include word analogies, synonyms and antonyms, word definitions, and paragraph or dialogue completions.