Summary: Today, the role of the correctional counselor is vitally important as policy makers, courts, and correctional personnel seek effective and efficient ways to handle increasing prison and jail populations. The fifth edition of Kratcoski's extensive collection remains true to the nature of previous, highly regarded editions. It contains relevant, understandable articles that offer students realistic insights into the most widely used techniques applied to juveniles and
adults in both institutional and community settings. Fifteen new selections combine with eighteen remaining articles to provide authoritative analysis and perspectives. Kratcoski's section introductions contextualize and explain the relevance of each article. Readers will find this outstanding collection to be a valuable resource on counseling and treatment techniques and programs, as well as their effects, in a wide range of correctional settings.
Summary: Today, the role of the correctional counselor is vitally important as policy makers, courts, and correctional personnel seek effective and efficient ways to handle increasing prison and jail populations. The fifth edition of Kratcoski's extensive collection remains true to the nature of previous, highly regarded editions. It contains relevant, understandable articles that offer students realistic insights into the most widely used techniques applied to juveniles and adults in both institutional and community settings. Fifteen new selections combine with eighteen remaining articles to provide authoritative analysis and perspectives. Kratcoski's section introductions contextualize and explain the relevance of each article. Readers will find this outstanding collection to be a valuable resource on counseling and treatment techniques and programs, as well as their effects, in a wide range of correctional settings. ...show less
Edition/Copyright:5TH 04 Cover: Paperback Publisher:Waveland Press, Inc. Published: 05/04/2004 International: No
View Table of Contents
Introduction. The Scope and Purposes of Correctional Treatment
Section I. ASSESSMENT OF THE EFFECTIVENESS OF CORRECTIONAL TREATMENT
1. An Experiment in Police-Based Restorative Justice: The Bethlehem (PA) Project (Paul McCold)
2. Evaluating Interventions with Violent Offenders: A Guide for Practitioners and Policy Makers (Patricia Van Voorhis, Francis T. Cullen, and Brandon Applegate)
Section II. CORRECTIONAL PERSONNEL
3. Preparation for the Diverse Facets of Correctional Workers' Roles (Peter C. Kratcoski)
4. Probation: My Profession, My Lifetime Employment, My Passion (Sylvia J. Johnson)
Section III. CRIME PREVENTION AND RESTORATIVE JUSTICE
5. The ABC's of ADR: A Comprehensive Guide to Alternative Dispute Resolution (Daniel Renken)
6. The Impact of Victim-Offender Mediation: Two Decades of Research (Mark S. Umbreit, Robert B. Coates, and Betty Vos)
7. Restorative Justice Conferences as an Early Response to Young Offenders (Edmund F. McGarrell)
Section IV. TREATMENT PROGRAMS FOR JUVENILE OFFENDERS
8. What's "New" about the Balanced Approach? (Gordon Bazemore)
9. Police Diversion of Delinquent Youths: An Assessment of Programs (Peter C. Kratcoski, Nawal H. Ammar, and Daniel C. Dahlgren)
10. Day Treatment: Community-Based Partnerships for Delinquent and At-Risk Youth (Bruce I. Wolford, Forrest Jordan, and Kathryn Murphy)
11. Elements of a Treatment Program for Youth Who Sexually Abuse (Paul Stephen Lundrigan)
Section V. CLASSIFICATION FOR CORRECTIONAL TREATMENT
12. The Functions of Classification Models in Probation and Parole: Control or Treatment-Rehabilitation (Peter C. Kratcoski)
13. Assessing Threats of School Violence: Implications for Counselors (Jeffrey A. Daniels)
14. An Assessment-Based Model for Counseling Strategy Selection (Mary Lee Nelson)
15. Case Managing Multiproblem Offenders (Hans Toch)
Section VI. CASEWORK COUNSELING AND CRISIS INTERVENTION
16. Stages of Counseling (Michael E. Cavanagh and Justin E. Levitov)
17. The Nature of Interviewing (Raymond L. Gorden)
18. What Do We Know about Anger Management Programs in Corrections? (Pamela Stiebs Hollenhorst)
19. Conflict Resolution: A Primer for Correctional Workers (Chester E. Sigafoos)
Section VII. COGNITIVE AND BEHAVIORAL BASED THERAPIES
20. Probation and Cognitive Skills (Frederick R. Chavaria)
21. Brief Solution-Focused Work: A Strength-Based Method for Juvenile Justice Practice (Michael D. Clark)
22. Behavior Modification: Perspective on a Current Issue (Bertram S. Brown, Louis A. Wienckowski, and Stephanie B. Stolz)
Section VIII. GROUP COUNSELING IN CORRECTIONS
23. The Process of Group Counseling (James P. Trotzer)
24. The Use of Groups (Richard A. Stordeur and Richard Stille)
Section IX. SPECIAL AREAS OF CORRECTIONAL TREATMENT
25. Counseling Alcoholic Clients: A Microcounseling Approach to Basic Communication Skills (National Center for Alcohol Education)
26. Polygraph Testing Leads to Better Understanding Adult and Juvenile Sex Offenders (Jan Hindman and James M. Peters)
27. Treatment in Transition: The Role of Mental Health Correctional Facilities (Robert Scott and Thomas O'Connor)
28. Co-Occurring Substance Use and Mental Disorders in Offenders: Approaches, Findings and Recommendations (Stanley Sacks and Frank S. Pearson)
29. The ADA and Deaf Inmates (Aviva Twersky-Glasner)
Barnes & Noble.com Various Shipping Locations, USA
Brand new, ships from the closest shipping location to your shipping address!
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.