Summary: Corrections in the 21st Century takes a practical approach to introducing students to the ideas and practices characteristic of modern corrections. It equips them with the skills necessary to succeed in the field. Its three-pronged approach to corrections includes a thorough description of correctional ideology, including professionalism, policy issues, and society's avowed goals for the correctional enterprise; a comprehensive overview of correctional practice, incl ...show moreuding the everyday operations of correctional agencies, prisons, jails, and the procedures of parole and probation; and the development of personal skills that are applicable to the corrections field. A central theme throughout the text is professionalism in corrections.Edition/Copyright: 01
- The Staff Speaks presents correctional professionals describing in their own words their work in the corrections profession.
- The Offender Speaks presents offenders describing in their own words their experiences and reactions to the correctional system.
- Career Profile highlights the training, educational background, and job responsibilities of current correctional professionals.
- Job Ads focus on selected employment offerings from the wide range of opportunities in the field of corrections.
- Looking to the Future focuses on important issues that will significantly impact the future of corrections.
- On-the-Job Issues present workplace scenarios that encourage students to apply chapter concepts and develop decision-making skills.
- Correction Issues provide topics of concern in the corrections field that encourage students to develop critical thinking skills.
Publisher: Glencoe Publishing Co.
Year Published: 2001