Summary: For undergraduate courses in Political Science, including Introduction to Comparative Politics and Introduction to European Politics, Introduction to Politics; and for courses in Cultural Diversity and International Studies. Edition/Copyright: 8TH 04
Eminently readable and written with candor and spirit, this 8th edition of Countries and Concepts continues the loose theoretical approach of the previous editions, simply observing that politics is composed of human conflicts or quar ...show morerels, forming patterns that can be studied. Analyzing four European nations and Japan at some length and four Third World nations more briefly, this text studies the history, institutions, geography, and political culture of each to provide valuable comparative information in the course of the semester.
- NEW--Updated and revised--Keeps up with new events, such as the latest elections and changes of government.
- Enables students to stay abreast of the latest events in the global-political environment.
- NEW--Expanded political-geography material--Combines political material with geographical information.
- Provides students with geographical insight that prepares them for globalization. Aids students preparing for state teacher certification exams.
- NEW--Insights--Includes some rational-choice perspectives, more geography, and Russia as a quasi-authoritarian system.
- Expands students' knowledge by the addition of these important topics.
- NEW--Highlighted boxes with poster heads--Include Geography, Democracy, Personalities, Political Culture, and Comparison, covering the vocabulary of political science.
- Gives students greater focus and continuity when learning important terminology.
- Nine countries represented--Extensive coverage of Great Britain, France, Germany, Russia, and Japan; more brief coverage of four Third World countries.
- Enables instructors to briefly cover Third World issues, if course time permits, and discuss the contrast between industrialized nations and developing nations using one text.
- History and politics--Presents relevant historical background for current political events.
- Provides students with an historical context to understand politics and political culture today.
- Readable, student-friendly format.
- Provides students with an easy-to-understand presentation of often complex material.
- Companion website www.prenhall.com/roskin--Includes practice quizzes and additional links.
- Gives students an on-line study guide.
- End-of-book glossary.
- Provides students with an additional study aid and easy reference guide.
- Maps and map-bounding exercises.
- Enables students to locate most countries of the world.
- Chapter-opening questions.
- Prepares students for the main points in each chapter.
- Supplementary Instructor's Manual and Electronic Test Bank.
- Provides instructors with powerful support in forming their curriculum.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Other Editions of Countries and Concepts : Politics, Geography, Culture: