Summary: This exciting new text provides special educators, school psychologists, and others responsible for programs serving students with EBD with specific methods, supported by sound research and proven by practice, for developing and improving services to this student population.
The only text to provide a thorough, comprehensive examination of concepts and strategies needed to effectively develop and implement a program for this student population, this text w...show moreas written by authors with current and extensive experience working with students with EBD.
Key topics include: (1) the developmental histories of students identified as EBD, (2) best practice in preventing disruptive school behavior, (3) methods for determining eligibility as EBD, (4) practical methods for creating positive adult relationships with these students, (5) methods for creating safe, supportive classroom climates for these students, (6) approaches for effective instruction with students with EBD, (7) methods for conducting functional behavior assessments and developing behavior intervention plans, (8) psychoeducational interventions addressing students developmental/clinical issues, and (9) techniques for collaborating with families and agencies to assist students with EBD.
Provides specific methods for responding to non-compliance and aggressive student behavior.
Details practical methods for conducting a functional behavior assessment and developing a workable and effective behavior intervention plan using field-tested methods and numerous case study examples.
Addresses practical methods for implementing interventions that respond to the social/emotional confusion and misperceptions that influence poor behavior choices made by students identified as EBD. Includes methods for implementing a "Life Space Crisis Intervention," helping students identify and correct their thinking errors, and leading effective groups.
Provides methods for working with families to develop support groups, working with individual families to develop collaborative plans to assist students, and working with agencies to create effective wrap-around services to meet the multiple needs experienced by students and their families.
Explores instructional methods for working with students identified as EBD. Includes methods for understanding and increasing students' motivation to learn, incorporating real-world problem solving/service learning into educational programs for this student population, and effective instructional strategies for modifying and adapting curriculum and instruction.
Discusses such practical issues as the use of "time out," the roles of various staff working in programs for students with EBD, and issues of school discipline with students with EBD.
Pedagogy includes individual chapter introductions, vignettes, case studies, chapter summaries, and a bibliography.
Edition/Copyright:04 Cover: Hardback Publisher:Allyn & Bacon, Inc. Published: 03/26/2003 International: No
View Author Bio
Jones, Vern : Lewis & Clark College
Dohrn, Elizabeth : Middleton-Cross Plains Area Schools
Dunn, Cory : Linn-Benton-Lincoln Counties Educational Service District
View Table of Contents
Every chapter concludes with "Summary."
I. Key Issues And Understandings Related To Assisting Students With Emotional And Behavior Problems
1. Overview of Problems and Issues in Serving Students with Emotional and Behavior Disorders in School Settings Introduction. How students with behavior problems impact the educational system. The increasing number and severity of students experiencing behavior problems. The exclusiveness of settings in which students with EBD are served and lack of success with this student population. The shortage of teachers skilled to serve students with EBD. Stress and attrition among teachers who serve students with EBD. Supporting educators who work with students with EBD. A continuum of services for students with EBD. Three levels of interventions. Key components in effective programs for students with EBD. Conceptual framework for the book.
2. Psychological Development of Students with EBD. Introduction. Basic developmental needs. Factors influencing children's ability to develop positive personal skills. Neuropsychological deficits. Social relationships. Behavior characteristics of students with EBD.
II. Developing Policies And Procedures To Reduce Special Education Referrals And Insure Appropriate Eligibility And Placement Decisions.
3. Procedures for Preventing Unnecessary Referrals and Determining Eligibility as EBD. Preventing behavior problems and inappropriate referrals. Common features of schoolwide systems that implement a curriculum of responsibility to support positive behavior for all students. A school plan for preventing and responding to disruptive student behavior. Issues in Determining Eligibility as EBD. The process of determining EBD eligibility. Developing an IEP for a student identified as EBD. Writing behavior IEP goals. Placement decisions.
III. Creating Positive Classroom Communities That Facilitate Academic And Socio-Emotional Growth For Students With EBD.
4. Creating Supportive Adult-Student and Peer Relationships. Introduction. The importance of positive adult-student relationships in classrooms for students with EBD. Staff roles for teams serving students with EBD. Concerns regarding adult-student relationships in classrooms serving students with EBD. Developing healthy, supportive adult-student relationships in classrooms for students with EBD. Creating positive peer relationships in the classroom.
5. Developing Behavior Standards and Responding to Violations of These Standards. Introduction. Developing classroom behavior standards (rules). Developing classroom procedures/routines. Reinforcing students for following agreed upon behavioral standards. Responding effectively to disruptive behavior. Procedures for responding to common rule violations. Using problem solving and conflict resolution. Implementing a points and levels system. Disciplinary exclusion for students identified as EBD.
6. Instructional Approaches for Serving Students with EBD. Introduction. Academic problems experienced by students with EBD. Understanding student motivation. Helping students understand the learning process. Incorporating real-world learning into the academic program. Effective curriculum and instruction for students with EBD.
IV. Developing Interdisciplinary And Interagency Interventions To Assist Students With EBD.
7. Developing Individualized Behavior Intervention Plans. Introduction. The functional behavior assessment process. Conducting a functional behavior assessment. Developing a behavior intervention plan. Methods for helping students develop and/or utilize skills for behaving in a more responsible, appropriate manner. Implementing A behavior intervention plan.
8. Interventions Addressing Students' Developmental/Clinical Issues. Introduction. The mental health aspect of students with emotional and behavior problems. Insight-oriented interventions. Life space crisis intervention. Structured programs for assisting students in understanding and modifying their thinking errors. Incorporating groups into an EBD classroom. Using medication with students with EBD.
9. Collaborating with Families and Social Service Agencies. Introduction. Working with Families. Interagency collaboration: a system of care approach. A summative case study.
Directions for the Future. Final comments. Bibliography.
Barnes & Noble.com Various Shipping Locations, USA
Brand new, ships from the closest shipping location to your shipping address!
$58.80 +$3.99 s/h
Better World Books Mishawaka, IN
Great condition for a used book! Minimal wear. 100% Money Back Guarantee. Shipped to over one million happy customers. Your purchase benefits world literacy!
$59.02 +$3.99 s/h
HPB-Dallas Dallas, TX
2004 Unknown Binding Fair 003 Item is intact, but may show shelf wear. Pages may include notes and highlighting. May or may not include supplemental or companion material. Access codes may or may n...show moreot work. Connecting readers since 1972. Customer service is our top priority. ...show less
$59.20 +$3.99 s/h
Clickgoodwill Indianapolis, IN
Very minimal damage to the cover no holes or tears, only minimal scuff marks minimal wear binding majority of pages undamaged minimal creases or tears. Book may have writing, underlining, highlighting...show more, wear to cover and corners, notes in margins, writing ...show less
$65.15 +$3.99 s/h
PaceSetter Books IL Saint Charles, IL
Hardcover Good 0205322018 Writing/underlining/highlighting sporadically on about 20-35 pages. Used book stickers on both covers and spine. Marker marks and stain on inside cover. Covers have light ...show moreedgewear, lightly bent cover corner tips and generally glossy surfaces. Orders ship same or next business day; expedited available. All orders have USPS delivery confirmation/tracking numbers. ...show less
$79.30 +$3.99 s/h
Textbookcenter.com Columbia, MO
Ships same day or next business day via UPS (Priority Mail for AK/HI/APO/PO Boxes)! Used sticker and some writing and/or highlighting. Used books may not include working access code or dust jacket.
$99.65 +$3.99 s/h
Nettextstore Lincoln, NE
2003 Hardcover Good Books have varying amounts of wear and highlighting. Usually ships within 24 hours in quality packaging. Satisfaction guaranteed. This item may not include any CDs, Infotracs, A...show moreccess cards or other supplementary material. ...show less
$109.95 +$3.99 s/h
omgtextbooks Pueblo West, CO
Boston, MA 2003 Hard cover Fair. Sewn binding. Cloth over boards. 456 p. Interventions That Work.
$118.61 +$3.99 s/h
newrecycleabook centerville, OH
0205322018 GREAT CONDITION!-US STUDENT EDITION - Free Tracking number with every purchase. Satisfaction guaranteed. Orders ship within 1-2 business days.
$131.45 +$3.99 s/h
GreatBookPrices Westminster, MD
Used, Acceptable Condition, may show signs of wear and previous use. Please allow 4-14 business days for delivery. 100% Money Back Guarantee, Over 1,000,000 customers served.
$144.98 +$3.99 s/h
GreatBookPrices Westminster, MD
Brand New, Perfect Condition, Please allow 4-14 business days for delivery. 100% Money Back Guarantee, Over 1,000,000 customers served.
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.