Summary: For courses in Criminal Behavior, Forensic Psychology, and Criminology.Edition/Copyright: 7TH 05
Criminal Behavior: A Psychosocial Approach, 7e examines the many events and factors that influence the lives and behaviors of the criminal offender. By presenting a critical and interdisciplinary look at criminals and crime, the book challenges students to look beyond over-simplified or prejudicial conclusions about the "crime problem." The book considers the behavioral, emoti ...show moreonal and cognitive aspects of offenders, looks at specific criminal offenses, and explores the causes, classification, prediction, intervention and treatment of criminal behavior.
- NEW - Chapters 4 ("The Psychopath"), 6 ("The Mentally Disordered Offender") and 13 ("Correctional Psychology")--Rewritten and completely revised.
- Strengthens and expands coverage of these vital topics.
- NEW - Chapter 12 "Drugs and Crime"--Extensively updated to reflect the latest drug abuse research.
- Brings students and instructors up to date with the latest research in this quickly changing area of study.
- NEW - Expanded coverage of international and domestic terrorism--In Chapters 1 and 9.
- Helps students better understand terrorism and its causes.
- NEW - Greatly expanded and reorganized coverage of criminal profiling in Chapter 9.
- Provides expanded coverage of a topic of great interest to students.
- NEW - Topics--Include sniper attacks, moral disengagement, reactive and proactive forms of aggression, and same sex domestic violence.
- Presents new coverage of topics that relate to current issues and cases.
- NEW - Expanded topics--Include the effects of the mass media on aggression, crime and physical anomalies, gender differences in aggression, infanticide, and robbery.
- Gives students and instructors more coverage of hot topics in the field.
- NEW - Updated crime statistics, research and data throughout.
- Presents the most current information available.
- NEW - Greater number of tables, figures, charts and other pedagogical aids--Added throughout the text.
- Makes the text more visually appealing to students.
- Most up-to-date psychological research and theories regarding criminal behavior are presented.
- Helps students understand where the field of criminal behavior is and where it is heading.
- Highlights how psychological, social, economic, political and ecological factors all play a role in influencing individual behavior.
- Shows students that criminal behavior is influenced by a complex combination of factors.
- Looks at specific crimes from a psychological perspective: terrorism, sniper attacks, homicide and serial murder, cyber crime, white collar crime, identity theft, sex crimes, school violence, hate crimes, stalking, family violence, and drug crimes.
- Helps students understand the psychology of individuals that commit specific types of crimes.
- Coverage of criminal profiling and crime scene analysis.
- Provides students with the latest research and techniques used to solve crimes.
- Coverage of danger assessment.
- Introduces students to the latest strategies and theories used to assess dangerous individuals and the risk of violence.
- Strategies for prevention and treatment of criminal behavior offered.
- Demonstrates how psychological theory can be applied to solve problems.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Other Editions of Criminal Behavior : Psychosocial Approach: