Summary: Clinicians from many disciplines rely on this definitive reference for its consistent, topical format of case studies and paradigms in crisis resolution. This edition includes new chapters on violence in society, infertility, substance abuse, and coverage of Acute Stress Disorder, a new DSM-IV category. Expanded coverage is included on hot topics such as the recent earthquake in Los Angeles, the Oklahoma City bombing, crisis hotlines, and the latest crisis interventi ...show moreon modalities. A new epilogue outlines the author's vision of the future of crisis intervention. Crisis Intervention Paradigms included at the ends of chapters can be filled out by the reader based on the case study. The completed paradigms can be found in the appendix. New appendices cover relevant legal & ethical terms, DSM-IV criteria for PTSD and ASD, infertility resources, and the completed paradigms. Edition/Copyright: 8TH 98
- A comprehensive, current, and readable look at crisis intervention for nursing students, students in related disciplines, as well as professionals and volunteers throughout the field of health care.
- Forty-six paradigms demonstrate the methodology and steps in crisis intervention.
- Examines the differences between crisis intervention and other psychotherapeutic approaches to stress the similarities and differences.
- Concentrates on the problem-solving process, introduces the reader to basic terminology used in this method of treatment, and explains the intervention paradigm, providing an important tool to the reader.
- Examines the legal and ethical issues in psychotherapy, such as sexual harassment and malpractice to prepare the reader for these sensitive situations.
- Explores the relatively new area of posttraumatic stress disorder, covering its causes, diagnoses, and treatments, to provide a well-rounded picture.
- Focuses on situational crises and the stressful events that can cause them, with case studies from the author's files and theoretical material to illustrate the techniques used by therapists in crisis resolution.
- Looks at the changes and crises that occur during developmental and social transitions to prepare the reader for these common crises.
- Delves into the concerns of persons with AIDS/HIV, and includes the most current understanding of the disease and all its ramifications. Examines the burn-out syndrome that is prevalent in today's high-stress environments.
Cover: Print On Demand
Publisher: C.V. Mosby Co.