Summary: The second edition of this popular handbook brings together theories, ideas, and resources for promoting crosscultural awareness, language development, and academic progress. Edition/Copyright: 2ND 02
This handbook also ties together culture and language in a comprehensive format and delves deeply into the educational challenges faced by classroom teachers.
Written specifically for the mainstream teacher, the guide clearly shows the effects of cultural differences on lea ...show morerning and presents an excellent treatment of cultural diversity and learning styles. It comes at a time when more than two million students nationwide with limited English proficiency fill our classrooms -- a time when today's teachers desperately need practical, effective resources to help these students succeed in school.
New To This Edition
- A complete K-12 reference guide that brings together theories and resources in promoting crosscultural awareness, language development, and academic progress.
- An entire chapter on content area instruction shows teachers what skills are needed in communication and classroom organization and planning and implementing instruction (Ch. 5).
- A comprehensive chapter on bilingual education gives teachers a variety of ways to organize models and deliver instruction and shows them how schools and communities deal with the issues surrounding bilingual education (Ch. 6).
- A section on assessment describes relevant state mandates and discusses the limitation of assessment of language minority students (Ch. 7).
- An indispensable discussion on working with other professionals and paraprofessionals.
- A new Chapter 12, ESL and Special Education, is built around the techniques needed to address the needs of English learners who are in special education, and includes an excellent summary for teachers.
- A new summary of linguistics terms needed for CLAD teaching provides readers with an excellent review of fundamental principles (Ch. 3).
- An increased discussion of the national standards movement and its impact on second language learners provides teachers with specific information about this reform movement and how to work with English language learners in light of it (Chs. 4 & 5).
- A new section on presenting a sheltered English model, provides teachers with all the information they need for standards-based content instruction (Ch. 5).
- New Internet Websites in every chapter include the most current research findings on English language learners.
- A new concise summary of bilingual education issues includes all the important and up-to-date information CLAD teachers need to know (Ch. 6).
Publisher: Allyn & Bacon, Inc.
Year Published: 2002