Summary: Bringing together two practice themes--culturally competent practice and practice process stages--Lum's book helps social work students, faculty, and practitioners implement culturally competent principles to the beginning, middle, and ending stages of their work with culturally diverse clients. Additional material, provided by guest contributors, applies these principles to ethnic diverse groups, gender and sexual orientation diverse groups, transitional diverse gro ...show moreups, and age-related diverse groups and include accompanying case studies and exercises.Edition/Copyright: 05
- An introductory chapter offers a practice model and introduces current trends in cultural competence, practice stages, client interactional systems, and case study dynamics.
- The book includes guest contributory chapters that apply culturally competent principles to groups of diverse ethnicity (First Nations Peoples, African Americans, Latino Americans, Asian Americans, multiracial and multiethnic people) and gender and sexual orientation (women of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people), as well as persons living in transitional stages (immigrants and refugees; persons with disabilities), and age stages of life (older adults of color).
- Fourteen leading social work educators and practitioners provide up-to-date information on how to work with a wide number of diverse population groups.
- Pertinent case study examples and exercises help students apply content in practical settings.
- Micro, mezzo, and macro intervention strategy principles demonstrate how to practice in a culturally competent manner within the various systems.
- A summary chapter covers contributory themes and future directions in cultural competent social work practice.
- The text includes a self-assessment test entitled, "The NASW Standards for Cultural Competence in Social Work Practice" that operationalizes in test form, the 10 standards of cultural competence set forth by the National Association of Social Workers in 2001.
- Chapters follow a common outline to ensure consistency and coherence throughout the text.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.