Summary: The seventh edition of this well-respected book continues to promote an awareness of the dimensions and complexities involved in caring for people from diverse cultural backgrounds. Completely revised and updated, it examines the differences existing within North America by probing the health care system and consumers, and examples of traditional health beliefs and practices among selected populations. An emphasis on the influences of recent social, political, and de ...show moremographic changes helps to explore the issues and perceptions of health and illness today. An essential for any health-care professional, this book sets the standard for cultural perspectives.
* Pocket Guide to Assessment and Health Tradition available online for downloading
* Companion Website www.prenhall.com/spector with activities, test questions, and more
* New Research on Culture feature depicting recent studies related to cultural competence
* New photographs displaying examples and icons of various cultures
* New learning outcomes at the beginning of every chapter
* Expanded content on the influence of spirituality and religion on health in cultural contexts
* Updated chapter on the health care delivery system including discussions of barriers and alternatives
* Demographic background discussion of each of the U.S. Census Bureau's categories of the population for a statistical overview of the diversity of patient populations ...show less
16 more offers below.