This edition has also been released as:
ISBN13: 978-0495067948, 978-0534582319
ISBN10: 0495067946, 0534582311
Summary: Trusted by professors of the humanities survey course for over twenty years, CULTURE AND VALUES covers Western cultures along with important non-Western cultures, providing students solid, accessible introductions to art, music, philosophy, literature, and more. Available in two volumes, or as an alternate single volume without end-of-chapter readings, this text remains the most readable and reliable textbook for college and university students in the integrated huma ...show morenities.Edition/Copyright: 6TH 06
New to the Edition
- Extended captions for all works provide additional visual analysis or historic and cultural background of the art in order to help students comprehend and appreciate the work.
- Expanded discussions of the musical selections found on the audio CD appear in the text. CD icons direct students to musical selections on the audio CD.
- Exploring Humanities CD-ROM, included free with each new copy of the text, provides resources and useful tools that bring the humanities to life. Organized by the major fields within the Humanities (art, architecture, literature, philosophy, music, dance, and theater), it includes readings and documents, interactive timelines, extensive learning modules, music flashcards, and an extensive collection of links that direct students to many online resources. These additional resources include maps, documents, and visuals, a link to all of Wadsworth's Humanities titles, a glossary of terms, links to major museums, and chronologies that place developments in the Humanities in historical context.
- Increased coverage of film, contemporary art, and literature.
- Increased coverage of Latin America.
- Increased coverage of women and minorities in the arts.
- "Your Resources" lists the CD-ROM and companion website resources available for each chapter.
- Key terms with definitions appear at the end of each chapter for student review.
- Completely revised and updated Further Reading lists at the end of each chapter.
- The text is available in two volumes with readings integrated at the end of chapters, or as an alternate single volume without readings. The volumes split at the Renaissance with Volume I consisting of Chapters 1-12 (up to and including the Early Renaissance); Volume II, Chapters 12-22 (the Early Renaissance and beyond).
- Attention to the role of literature, in addition to a well-balanced blend of art, architecture, music, and ideas gives balance where competing texts lack depth.
- The text includes non-Western traditions in the humanities, including ancient India and China, contemporary India, China, Japan, Africa, and Latin America, as well as an entire chapter on Islamic art.
- Two-page timelines at the beginning of each chapter provide a visual chronology for the many different works presented, helping to effectively orient students to the course material.
- "Voices of Their Times" boxes, taken from letters, journals, and narratives of the time period presented, give students first-hand insight into the day-to-day concerns and experiences of individuals living then.
- "Values" boxes identify the underlying issues or concerns unifying the works of a given era, examining their root causes and ultimate impact on the type of art produced.
- Student-friendly end-of-chapter pedagogy includes Chapter Summaries, Pronunciation Guide, Exercises, Key Terms, Your Resources, and Further Readings and Reading Selections (split volumes only).
Publisher: Wadsworth, Inc
Year Published: 2006
Other Editions of Culture and Values, Survey of the Humanities : Alternate Volume -With CD: