Summary: The scientific revolution fostered by DNA technology has reached into myriad fields, including genetic diagnoses, medical forensics, gene therapy, pharmaceutical product manufacturing, and transgenic plants and animals. DNA Technology: The Awesome Skill, Second Edition surveys the innovative and imaginative uses of gene technology in these fields, while emphasizing the applications and societal implications of this amazing advance in science. Designed specifically fo ...show morer nonmajors and other students with little or no science background, this is the first book to address the societal implications of biotechnology. The distinguished and prolific author, Edward Alcamo has written the most up-to-date, engaging, readable overview of biotechnology for students and professionals.Edition/Copyright: 2ND 01
- This is an introductory treatment of aspects of DNA technology written to enlighten the reader about the break-throughs made possible by the science and technologies associated with DNA.
- Written by a seasoned professional with numerous publishing credits, the book presents contemporary insights in a highly readable and enjoyable manner, emphasizing the practical implications and applications of the new genetic technologies. Readers will come away saying, ''So that's what DNA technology is all about!''
- After studying this book, students will feel more confident in their ability to understand contemporary newspaper and magazines articles referring to DNA technology and human genetics.
- This title contains numberous applications of DNA technology in society.
- 7 Chapters highlight contemporary DNA technology and its uses in varied fields.
- The author provides a complete overview of biotechnology.
- Business people will make more confident decisions in their dealings with biotechnology issues.
- Lawyers and jurists will have a better appreciation of DNA fingerprinting.
- Persons with genetic diseases will have a clearer understanding of their afflictions and understand the bases for possible cures.
- Agriculturists will have insight to the genetic basis for gene-altered plants and animals.
- The general public will better appreciate the nature and reasons for the Human Genome Project now in progress.
- Increased the numerous applications of DNA technology in society.
- Provides a comprehensive survey of medical forensics, gene detectives, and genetically engineering plants and animals.
- Offers detailed coverage of genetic diagnoses and therapies
Publisher: Academic Press, Inc.
Other Editions of DNA Technology : The Awesome Skill: