Summary: An innovative new film-based program designed to motivate and inspire beginning French students. Based on the French film, Le Chemin du retour, Débuts is a completely integrated program for the first year French course. Edition/Copyright: 03
Le Chemin du retour is a two-hour feature-length film, divided into twenty-two episodes and an Epilogue. Each episode includes on-screen pre- and post-viewing activities that make the film accessible to students. Episodes are about ...show morefifteen minutes in length and correspond to the chapters in the textbook. Over eight hours of viewing bring the richness of French language and culture to beginning students, while at the same time exposing them to clear and natural French that they CAN understand.
Le Chemin du retour is an engaging story about a young French journalist, Camille Leclair, and her pursuit of the truth about her grandfather's past. Through Camille's quest, students are introduced to many facets of today's French and Francophone cultures as well as to important historical events in France. They learn language in the functional context provided by the film, and concepts are reinforced by the on-screen activities that help students verify their comprehension.
Débuts, the textbook, is coordinated with the individual episodes of the film and offers students additional pre-and post-viewing activities. Vocabulary and grammar presentations and exercises recycle and expand on dialogue and concepts in the film and also help students to talk about their own lives. Finally, the cultural content of the film is further explored in cultural notes and readings in each chapter.
- Clear and user-friendly organization, of each chapter consists of the same self-contained teaching modules to maximize flexibility in designing a beginning-level French course.
- Chapter openers include learning goals for what is to come in the chapter and in the accompanying film/episode.
- Vocabulaire en contexte presents thematically grouped vocabulary with drawings and scenes from the film, with an abundance of exercises for vocabulary development.
- Visionnement 1 provides vocabulary useful for viewing, along with pre-and post-viewing activities coordinated directly with the film/episode to help students gain a thorough comprehension of what they see and hear.
- Structures consist of three grammar points per chapter, each introduced with clear and concise explanations and examples from the film. Grammar topics are accompanied by a wide range of practice, from controlled and form-focused, to open-ended and creative communicative activities.
- Regards sur la culture provides a brief cultural note along with an accompanying critical thinking question to deepen students' awareness and understanding of cultural issues raised in the film/episode or chapter vocabulary.
- Visionnement 2 is an optional second viewing section that encourages students to watch the episode again, this time to concentrate on cultural information in the episode.
- Synthèse sections culminate each chapter with cultural presentations and/or readings, many of which are literary selections. Pre-reading strategies and post-reading comprehension activities help students develop reading skills. A writing activity follows in the Workbook and Laboratory Manuals.
- Langage fonctionnel provides useful phrases or expressions for carrying on conversations in particular situations.
- Vocabulaire relatif à l'épisode appears in the Visionnement 1 section. These vocabulary items from the film help students better understand the episode.
- Notez bien! are marginal notes that highlight important details about grammar and vocabulary that students should learn.
- Pour en savoir plus are marginal notes containing information about culture, pronunciation, vocabulary, and grammar.
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Publishing Company
Other Editions of Debuts : An Introduction to French -Text Only: