Summary: Thoroughly updated in its second edition,Democracy in Latin Americaprovides an in-depth and accessible survey of processes of democratization in Latin America from 1900 to the present. In clear and jargon-free prose, acclaimed author Peter H. Smith examines the origins and evolution of democracy in Latin America; the adoption and reform of electoral institutions; the policy performance of contemporary democracies; the political representation of women, workers, and indigenous peoples ...show more; and trends in public opinion.
Adroitly blending qualitative and quantitative approaches,Democracy in Latin America,Second Edition, offers an innovative perspective on democratic change in Latin America. Enhanced by photos and text boxes featuring portraits of personalities, explanations about methodology, and comments on conceptual approaches, it is ideal for undergraduate and graduate courses in political science, history, Latin American studies, and history.
FEATURES OF THE SECOND EDITION:
* Updates empirical information on present-day developments, such as women's representation, the empowerment of indigenous peoples, and anti-poverty policies
* Interprets the emergence of the ''new Left'' as part of a recurring dialectic within Latin American democracy
* Analyzes the changing roles of the judiciary
* Considers the relationship between social status and satisfaction with democracy
* Reassesses the relative balance between ''liberal'' and ''illiberal'' democracy throughout the region
* Provides a completely new analysis of public opinion on the basis of raw survey data
* Takes into account the contemporary international environment, inlcuding the rise of China ...show less
More prices and sellers below.