Summary: Designed to give dental assistants and dental hygienists a solid understanding of the clinical use of dental materials, this outstanding new text covers critical topics and includes only the technical information related to the responsibilities of practicing dental assistants and hygienists. In user-friendly language, it discusses the dental material's chemical makeup, preparation, and safe handling. The practical focus shows readers how to mix, use, and apply dental ...show more materials, emphasizing their use in relation to the patient's course of treatment and the dental assistant's or hygienist's role in their application. A hands-on, illustrated approach to procedures explains how to perform each step, with rationales explaining why the step is necessary. A color insert demonstrates visual topics, such as the effect of bleaching on tooth coloration. Competency sheets at the end of the book enable readers to test their understanding of how to perform procedures and handle a variety of dental materials.Edition/Copyright: 03
- Clear descriptions of how to mix and apply materials used in the dental office and lab delineate specifically what dental assistants and dental hygienists need to know on the job.
- Hands-on, step-by-step, illustrated procedures for many clinical and laboratory applications clearly demonstrate each step.
- Competency sheets for procedures assess the reader's skills and progress so they can readily identify weaknesses and practice to enhance their skills or prepare for examinations.
- Clinical Tips draw attention to important clinical treatment steps and offer easy-to-remember hints for more efficient care of patients and handling of materials.
- Caution highlights alert students to the dangers of hazardous materials and procedures, helping readers understand how to protect themselves, manage hazardous material, and remain aware but be at ease in a potentially dangerous situation.
- A color insert at the front of the book contains 11 full-color photographs essential to understanding certain visual topics, such as the color variations of teeth before and after bleaching.
- Topics for Discussion feature case-based critical thinking scenarios presented at the end of each chapter that can be used to faciliate classroom discussion or help readers develop their critical independent thinking.
- A resource appendix contains information on how to access various sources of related information in the print and electronic media, serving as an in-depth guide to the best sources of information on a subject.
- A conversion table appendix introduces readers to various types of measurements and their conversion to smaller increments or different types of measurement systems, mainly from the U.S. system to the metric system.
- Tables break down complex technical and scientific information, and chemical and mathematical properties of materials are simplified in easy-to-understand columns and rows, with user-friendly language.
- Boxes present essential information in short, clear, to-the-point lists with bullets or numbers, reinforcing and building on topics that have just been discussed.
- Key terms introduce and define new words to be found in the upcoming chapter to familiarize readers with key dental terms commonly used in discussing chapter material.
- Topics for Discussion present case-based scenarios that introduce dental practice scenarios related to the chapter topic, followed by pertinent questions to challenge readers' independent, creative, decision-making skills and illustrate possible ways to successfully approach and resolve a situation.
- Multiple-choice review questions at end of each chapter test the reader's understanding of the material and point out any specific areas of weakness for additional study.
- Chapter outlines and objectives introduce readers to what they will be expected to know after studying the upcoming chapters.
- A complete glossary of terms from all chapters are defined in alphabetical order so readers can easily look up any term at any time.
- A reference list at end of each chapter lists various sources of information relevant to each chapter for additional information about the principles and properties of the dental materials discussed.
Publisher: W.B. Saunders Co.
Other Editions of Dental Materials: