Summary: Intended to meet the needs of a student who wishes to begin research in the field of neuroscience or biological psychology, this book provides background to the scientific method, and the use of both experimental and non-experimental research designs. Using examples from published studies in neuroscience, the text discusses control of variables and analysis of results, with a focus on the logic of experimental design. Ethical issues associated with neuroscience resea ...show morerch are considered and guidelines are described. Statistical concepts are discussed within the context of the research examples. Many exercises are provided to allow students to apply their knowledge and test their understanding. The background in research skills that this book provides will help students succeed in their research endeavors. Edition/Copyright: 06
- "Tools of the Trade" boxes contain factual information about particular concepts in the book.
- "More, Please" boxes feature more in-depth information or examples on a given topic.
- Each chapter ends with a section called "Check Your Understanding," which contains mini quizzes with answers in the back of the book.
- "Think About It" sections at the end of the chapter feature critical thinking questions with answers at the end of the book where appropriate.
- This book shows students how research studies in neuroscience are designed and how to analyze the data that is collected from such studies.
- The author conveys the excitement of this growing field and gets students excited about doing research by giving them the basic skills they need to succeed in their own projects.
Publisher: Wadsworth, Inc
Year Published: 2006