Summary: This book provides a broad introduction to an overview of developmental disabilities for future practitioners, educators, healthcare personnel, parents, and other lay people. Written in a manner accessible to all, this book presents a coherent picture of developmental disabilities by focusing on etiology (causes and risk factors), clinical phenomena, social factors, service delivery models, historical factors, and prevention. It stresses the revolution in services fo
r persons with disabilities over the past few decades and emphasizes the importance of using a lifespan developmental model in service and research. For psychologists, educators, and special educators.
Summary: This book provides a broad introduction to an overview of developmental disabilities for future practitioners, educators, healthcare personnel, parents, and other lay people. Written in a manner accessible to all, this book presents a coherent picture of developmental disabilities by focusing on etiology (causes and risk factors), clinical phenomena, social factors, service delivery models, historical factors, and prevention. It stresses the revolution in services for persons with disabilities over the past few decades and emphasizes the importance of using a lifespan developmental model in service and research. For psychologists, educators, and special educators. ...show less
Edition/Copyright:02 Cover: Hardback Publisher:Allyn & Bacon, Inc. Year Published: 2002 International: No
View Table of Contents
Each chapter ends with a summary, list of key terms, study questions, and recommended readings.
1. Defining Developmental Disabilities. Overview of the Text. Three Vignettes. Impairments, Disabilities, and Handicaps. Etiology: Causal Factors and Pathology. Defining Developmental Disabilities. Conditions Included in Developmental Disabilities. Developmental Delay, Developmental "Psychopathology, and Dual Diagnoses. Developmental Disabilities in a Life-Span Context. Social Attitudes about Persons with Disabilities. Prevalence and Incidence of Developmental Disabilities. The Person and the Professions. Chapter Summary.
2. Normal Prenatal Development. Human Development Is a Continuous Process. Determinants of the Neonate's Health. Prenatal Development. The Birth Process. The Mother, the Neonate, Postnatal Monitoring, and Care. Genotype and Phenotype. Chapter Summary.
3. Normal Postnatal Development. Physical and Sensory Development. Brain Development. Cognitive, Perceptual, and Language Development. Emotional Development. Social Development. Normal Developmental Tasks: Social Norms, Expectancies, and Roles. Growth beyond the "Developmental" Years. Chapter Summary.
4. Endogenous Etiological Factors in Disabilities: Genetic Defects. Birth Defects. Polygenic and Multifactorial Transmission. Genetic and Chromosomal Mutations. Chapter Summary.
5. Endogenous Etiological Factors in Disabilities: "Chromosomal Anomalies." Chromosomal Anomalies in the Autosomes. X-Linked Genetic Defects and Chromosomal Anomalies. Neural Tube Defects (NTDs). Chapter Summary.
6. Exogenous Etiologic Factors in Disabilities: Prenatal Origins. Prenatal Environmental Factors in Birth Defects. Teratogens.
7. Exogenous Etiological Factors in Disabilities Prenatal Origins (Continued). Environmental Hazards of a Passive Nature. Maternal Conditions. Other Prenatal Factors. A "MultiHit" Model of Neurological Handicap. Chapter Summary.
8. Exogenous Etiological Factors in Developmental Disabilities: Perinatal and Postnatal Environmental Origins. Etiologies and Disabilities. Chapter Summary.
9. Mental Retardation (Intellectual Disabilities). The Nature of Intelligence. Intelligence and MR. Heterogeneity among Persons with Mental Retardation. Multidimensional Diagnosis and Service "Planning for Mental Retardation. Step 1. Diagnosis of Mental Retardation. Step 2. Identifying Strengths, Weaknesses, and Service Needs. Step 3. Determining Needed Supports and Support Intensities. Some Important Generalizations. Social Factors in Mental Retardation. Chapter Summary.
10. Social Determinants in Mental Retardation: "The Active Socialization Hypothesis. Socialization. Positions and Roles: Social Structure and Personal Function. Dimensions of Social Positions. Dimensions of Social Roles. Social Role Development and Personal Identity. Can Social Role Theory Inform Us about Mental Retardation?. MR Social Role Enactments. Tacit Knowledge, Practical Intelligence, "and the Zone of Proximal Development. Implications for Research and Service. Chapter Summary.
11. Autistic Spectrum Disorders. Three Cases. Pervasive Developmental Disabilities and Autistic Spectrum Disorders. Autistic Disorder. Other Autistic Spectrum Disorders. Diagnosis of Autism. Population Estimates of Autism. The Final Common Pathway Model. Autism and Theory of Mind. Education, Training, and Treatment. Prognosis and the Older Person with Autism. Some Comments on History. Chapter Summary.
12. Seizure Disorders. Seizures and Epilepsy. Etiologies of Seizures and the Epilepsies. Incidence and Prevalence of Epilepsy. Major Effects of Epilepsy on the Person. Epilepsy in Adolescence. Treatment and Prevention of Epilepsy. Prognosis in Epilepsy. Chapter Summary.
13. Cerebral Palsy. Diagnosing Cerebral Palsy. Types of Movement Disorders. Etiologies of Cerebral Palsy. Associated Disorders. Management of Cerebral Palsy. Assistive Technology. Cerebral Palsy and Aging. Chapter Summary.
14. Learning Disabilities. Prevalence of Learning Disabilities. Learning Disabilities Criteria. Specific Learning Disabilities. Phonological Awareness and Central Processing Deficits. Primary and Secondary Characteristics. Assistive Technology for Learning Disabilities. The Personal Toll of LD. Learning Disabilities in Adulthood. Chapter Summary.
15. Services for Persons with Developmental Disabilities. The Twentieth-Century Revolution. Dimensions of Service. Chapter Summary.
16. Deviance, Responsible Social Agents, and Prevention "In Developmental Difficulties. A Traditional Social Position: The Responsible Social Agent. The Responsible Social Agent and Deviance. Levels of Prevention. Obstacles to Prevention. Partial Solutions in Our Less Than Ideal World. Prevention of Developmental Disabilities in a Time-Line Perspective. A Final Note.
References. Bibliography. Name Index. Subject Index.
Order this book in the next 1 days, 19 hours and 36 minutes and it ships by Noon CT Monday!
New Currently Sold Out
Due back 12/18/2015
Save $158.26 (80%)
Free return shipping
21-day satisfaction guarantee
CDs or access codes may not be included
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.