Summary: This best-selling text offers comprehensive coverage of all aspects of deviance and is noted for its blend of readability and scholarship. Edition/Copyright: 7TH 04
Deviant Behavior covers a wide spectrum of theories of deviance, and analyzes specific deviant behaviors. The author utilizes an abundance of research data, including much that debunks our common assumptions about deviant behavior. Thus students are not only exposed to the full range of theories and data about deviance, ...show more but are challenged to think about and evaluate their own biases and preconceptions.
New To This Edition
- Comprehensive, up-to-date coverage of all aspects of deviance.
- Asks students to analyze their own assumptions about deviant behavior.
- A lively writing style, real-life vignettes, critical analyses of theories and data, and student-oriented examples help lead to greater understanding of the material presented.
- This edition is packed with brand-new, updated, and revised materials as well as whole new sections devoted to important and interesting topics. For example, Chapter 2, "Positivist Theories," includes recent developments in anomie-strain theory; Chapter 4, "Physical Violence," includes new sections on stalking, hate-motivated violence, genocide, the September 11, 2001 attacks, and the war on terrorism; Chapter 5, "Rape and Child Molestation," includes extensively revised material on male rape inside and outside the prison and new section on pedophile priests; Chapter 11, "Legal and Illegal Drug Use," features a new section on the illegal drug Ecstasy and a new section on the abuse of prescription drugs, particularly OxyContin.
- A new "Social Profile" box in each behavior chapter (Chs. 4-14) spotlights a certain group of deviants such as suicide bombers in Chapter 7, "Suicide;"corporate crooks in Chapter 13, "Privileged Deviance," and cyberporn surfers in Chapter 9, "Heterosexual Deviance."
- A new organization! Traditionally, deviance texts are divided into only two parts, with a few theory chapters in the first part and then multiple chapters on diverse forms of deviant behavior lumped together into the second part. In this latest edition, Part II is divided into five distinct parts as follows: (1) Interpersonal Violence, (2) Self-Targeted Deviance, (3) Diverse Lifestyles, (4) Drug Use, and (5) Inequality in Deviance.
- Three critical thinking questions at the end of each chapter enable students to ponder what they have just learned about the subject and to develop new ways of seeing and understanding it. Such questions include, among others, "The culture of rape is all around us. What can you do to resist it?" and "If in fighting the war on drugs you had to choose between law enforcement and prevention/treatment, which would you opt for and why?"
Publisher: Allyn & Bacon, Inc.
Year Published: 2004