Summary: Through DISABILITY SPORT, 2ND EDITION, you can:
- familiarize yourself with the organizations and opportunities available in disability sport,
- gain access to the latest in research on coaching and training athletes with disabilities and providing injury prevention and treatment, and
- learn about people's private and public triumphs in disability sport from an international perspective.
DISABILITY SPORT, 2ND EDITION, provides a comprehensive and practical look at the past, present, and future of disability sport. Topics covered are inclusive of youth through adult participation with indepth coverage of the essential issues involving athletes with disabilities. This new edition has updated references and new chapteropening outlines and chapterclosing discussion questions that assist with individual study and class discussions.
The book contains an uptodate and comprehensive synthesis of information on:
- disability sport in its historical context;
- organizations, competitions, and sport opportunities for athletes with disabilities;
- international perspectives; and
- coaching and training of athletes with disabilities.
In addition, the book addresses current challenges and controversies in disability sport (e.g., inclusion and integration, classification, ethics issues, doping, and equity issues) and looks into the future of disability sport. It includes minibiographies of standouts in disability sport from around the world.
Students and professionals can use DISABILITY SPORT, 2ND EDITION, as a springboard to further research; as an uptodate reference; and as a tool in working with, or preparing to work with, athletes with disabilities.
Audiences: Textbook for upperlevel undergraduate and graduate courses in adapted physical education, sport management, recreation, and coaching education programs. Reference for PETE/APE/therapeutic recreation instructors and practitioners and for athletes with disabilities. ...show lessEdition/Copyright: 2ND 05
Cover: Other Format
Publisher: Human Kinetics Publishers
Year Published: 2005