Summary: Discovering Genomics is the first genomics text that combines web activities and case studies with a problem-solving approach to teach upper-level undergraduates and first-year graduate students the fundamentals of genomic analysis. More of a workbook than a traditional text, Discovering Genomics, Second Edition allows students to work with real genomic data in solving problems and provides the user with an active learning experience.Edition/Copyright: 2ND 07
The Second Edition has ...show more been thoroughly revised and updated to incorporate the latest scientific findings on popular topics such as disease-causing organisms and genetic defects. Case study chapters have been placed throughout the book to tie real-life scenarios into the concepts that follow. Two of the book's key pedagogical features, Discovery Questions and Math Minutes, have also been updated and expanded.
The interactive companion website has been reprogrammed with JMOL, the latest 3-D software used to view DNA structures.
New To This Edition
- First genomics textbook written for students that focuses on the process of doing genomic analysis and thinking from a genomics perspective.
- Inquiry approach gives students hands-on practice and builds problem-solving skills. Students learn to use databases and how to extract pertinent information.
- Math Minutes supply brief tutorials that reveal the math behind the biology and illustrate how investigators apply math in solving specific biology problems.
- Discovery Questions appear throughout each chapter and ask students to consider what is happening in a particular example or case study, thus engaging students in taking a genomic approach to real-world problems.
- Case studies and real-world examples provide a context for understanding the experiments and results.
- Integrated multimedia and web resources direct students to a full methods index, relevant web links and animations that allow them to research and analyze real genomics data as they work their way through each chapter. Icons in the text alert students to these media tools.
- The text has been thoroughly updated to incorporate the most up-to-date scientific findings and groundbreaking research.
- Case study chapters have been updated and integrated into the book to tie real-life scenarios into the concepts that follow.
- Discovery Questions and Math Minutes have been updated and expanded to engage students and encourage critical and quantitative thinking.
- New software on the companion website now features JMOL, the latest 3-D software used to view DNA structures.
Publisher: Benjamin-Cummings Publishing Co.
Year Published: 2007