Summary: For courses in Success/Orientation, Race and Ethnic Relations, Cultural Diversity in the Workplace (Business Management), Interpersonal Human Relations, Sociology, and Allied Health/Human Services; also for teacher-training education courses, and staff/professional development workshops. Edition/Copyright: 2ND 04
This empowering study on human diversity helps students develop the ability to understand, respect, and value diversity--and demonstrates how opening one's mind to the vie ...show morews of other peoples and cultures is central for a quality education and successful career. Personalizing the learning experience by integrating a variety of real-life student experiences and perspectives, it discusses topics in a style that promotes self-reflection and dialogue that is inclusive and not condescending. Complete with self-reflective journal questions, case studies, and interactive exercises, it discusses diversity and workplace issues--such as teamwork, conflict management, leadership, racism, prejudice, and communication; and zeroes in on the relationship between an employee's success and his/her ability to develop flexible thinking to positively and effectively deal with a variety of diversity issues.
- NEW--Chapter-end running case studies--Follows three individuals throughout the book.
- Requires students to asses each specific case, and familiarizes them with complex issues and situations involving diversity.
- NEW--Expanded content throughout--Covers diversity education; globalization; cross-cultural leadership; the Internet; and U.S. population trends and their implications.
- Provides students and instructors with detailed coverage of many new topics, and of the subject as a whole.
- NEW--Updated data throughout--Includes the latest statistical data from Census 2000, and integration of the events of 9/11.
- Helps students explore a wide range of emerging issues and underscores the growing importance and relevance of diversity consciousness.
- NEW--Diversity Links.
- Supplies students with a number of excellent Web sites, and short descriptions of the information available.
- NEW--Instructor's manual.
- Provides instructor with tools for a rich classroom experience.
- Includes a foreword by Franklin Raines--CEO of Fannie Mae, and the first African-American to head a Fortune 50 Company.
- Grounded in research--Moves beyond anecdotal evidence by citing many research studies derived from real companies and real people.
- Highlights the positive impact of education/training in the area of diversity, i.e., how their exposure to diversity issues is more apt to make them culturally sensitive and more creative and productive on the job.
- Focus on personal growth and empowerment as a life-long process.
- Shows students how developing diversity consciousness is an ongoing process of educating oneself, requiring a great deal of self-reflection, evaluation, patience and commitment.
- Student perspectives--Infuses each chapter with genuine anecdotes from a diverse population of students who share their everyday struggles, stories, and achievements.
- Provides perspectives from a wide variety of educational, social, and ethnic backgrounds, providing insight and letting the student learn from the experiences of their peers.
- Real-world applications--now and in the future--Explores the relevance of communication, teamwork, conflict management, and flexible thinking in the workplace.
- Helps students understand the connections between "diversity skills" and the world of work, and their increasing relevance to creativity, productivity, and profit.
- Journal questions--Integrated throughout each chapter, these thought-provoking questions encourage students to write and record entries in their own personal journal.
- Reinforces students' learning, provides them with a record of their thoughts, promotes self-reflection and encourages group discussions.
- Engaging end-of-chapter exercises--Includes Internet exercises.
- Gives students an interactive opportunity to utilize different learning styles, and helps them synthesize and build upon their newly acquired knowledge.
- Wide audience appeal--Provides a rich, in-depth and realistic approach to diversity that all students will relate to, regardless of their background, and explores traditional and emerging diversity issues.
- Treats students in a friendly, direct, and non-condescending manner.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Other Editions of Diversity Consciousness : Opening Our Minds To People, Cultures, And Opportunities: