Summary: Abadinsky explores all aspects of the drug and alcohol abuse issue, including the impact of drugs on our society; history; pharmacological impact of drugs on the body; policy implications of drugs; the criminal justice system response; the effects, treatment and prevention of abuse; theories of use; drug business; and drug law enforcement. Reports on the latest data on drug concerns provide further examination of alcohol and explore the abuse of additional substances ...show more such as "club drugs," inhalants, herbal stimulants, and designer drugs. The major drugs are arranged into depressants, stimulants, hallucinogens, and cannabis.Edition/Copyright: 5TH 04
- NEW! To help students understand drugs in the context of history, the author has included a new "Drug History Time Line" at the beginning of the text.
- The Table of Contents follows a logical sequence that makes this text appropriate for a full semester course.
- NEW! Chapter 6, "Hallucinogens, "Club Drugs," and Marijuana," now includes extended coverage of "club drugs" such as ecstasy (MDMA).
- NEW! A new extended glossary appears at the end of the text to help students define and remember difficult concepts and terms.
- NEW! New end-of-chapter Web Sites provide students with the opportunity to extend their learning of chapter topics online.
- NEW! Chapter 3, "Drugs and the Nervous System," includes new research on neurotransmitters, with particular focus on the central role of dopamine.
- NEW! Chapter 13, "Drug Abuse Policy," features international coverage on the latest developments in drug policy in Europe, including the popularity of the Harm Reduction approach to policy.
- This comprehensive and balanced text covers the history, policy, and theory of drug use to give students a full overview and understanding of the subject.
- Both highly informative and full of current data, this text is accessible and suitable for introductory level students.
- In-text learning aids include chapter objectives and end-of-chapter summaries to aid student comprehension.
Publisher: Wadsworth, Inc
Other Editions of Drugs : An Introduction: