This edition has also been released as:
ISBN13: 978-0072352474, 978-0072484014
ISBN10: 0072352477, 0072484012
Summary: Taking a pharmacological approach, Carroll offers strong coverage of each of the drug groups, including over-the-counter and prescription drugs. This is a straightforward, nonjudgmental examination of drug use that emphasizes the importance of education in preventing and solving societal and individual drug problems. Now packaged access to the Annual Editions Online this text offers students and instructors the most up-to-date information available. ...show more'4''>Features Edition/Copyright: 5TH 00
- Provides more thorough coverage of abuse problems and issues surrounding alcoholism and alcohol use as a disease such as, drinking and driving, alcohol dependence, children and alcohol, and information on alternatives to AA with a new second chapter on alcohol, Chapter 5 : Alcohol Problems : Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.
- Updated to include comprehensive information on tobacco (Chapter 8), such as the latest on underage prevention, cessation techniques, passive smoke exposure, and litigation and law making at the state and federal levels.
- Examines the impact of drug use and abuse in populations previously overlooked by researchers in new chapter 14 : Alcohol and Other Drugs in Special Populations . Populations include women, racial and ethnic minority groups (African American, Hispanic Americans, American Indians/Alaskan Natives, Asian/Pacific Islanders), athletes (anabolic and androgenic steroids and other drugs), and elderly people.
- Covers sociocultural and historical aspects as well as immediate physical and psychological effects of alcohol in completely revised Chapter 4 : Alcohol : America's Drink-Drug, setting the stage for discussion of dependence in the following chapter.
- Updated and edited throughout by new contributing author Lynne Durrannt, University of Utah, streamlining coverage and energizing the presentation.
- Offers additional resources and the suggestions for exploring the web in new book specific web site .
- Accompanied by a book specific PowerPoint presentation that may be downloaded from the web site.
- Introduces students to the information about drugs that is available on the Interent by providing relevant world wide web sites for each chapter and introducing students to the major sites at the beginning of the book.
- Includes with new copies free access to Annual Editions Online Drugs. This site includes current articles on topics related to drugs and substance use and abuse.
- Promotes critical thinking and class discussion with At Issue boxes that look at both sides of controversial issues.
- Covers the sociocultural issues that impact on drug abuse in a broad range of populations encouraging students to observe that drug use/abuse crosses cultural and socioeconomic lines.
- Presents comprehensive, unbiased information that serves health education needs by providing a complete record of facts without promoting myths and emphasizing the importance of education in preventing and solving societal and individual drug problems.
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Publishing Company