Summary: This anthology contains numerous up-to-date, well-related readings on animal rights/animal liberation and environmental ethics -- in addition to current topics such as ecological feminism, and practical applications. Approaching its subjects through a set of opposing readings shows the strength and weaknesses of various alternative positions. Readings cover the topics of Judeo-Christian Perspectives, Respect for Nature, The Land Ethic/Deep Ecology, Reconciliation a
nd Defense, Social Ecology and Environmental Racism, and NonWestern Religious and Cultural Perspectives.
Summary: This anthology contains numerous up-to-date, well-related readings on animal rights/animal liberation and environmental ethics -- in addition to current topics such as ecological feminism, and practical applications. Approaching its subjects through a set of opposing readings shows the strength and weaknesses of various alternative positions. Readings cover the topics of Judeo-Christian Perspectives, Respect for Nature, The Land Ethic/Deep Ecology, Reconciliation and Defense, Social Ecology and Environmental Racism, and NonWestern Religious and Cultural Perspectives. ...show less
Edition/Copyright:2ND 00 Cover: Paperback Publisher:Prentice Hall, Inc. Published: 09/15/1999 International: No
View Table of Contents
II. JUDEO-CHRISTIAN PERSPECTIVES.
1. The Historical Roots of Our Ecological Crisis, Lynn White Jr. 2. For God So Loved the World, Andrew Linzey.
III. ANIMAL LIBERATION AND ANIMAL RIGHTS.
3. Down on the Factory Farm, Peter Singer. 4. The Use of Animals in Science, Sidney Gendin. 5. All Animals are Equal, Peter Singer. 6. The Case for Animal Rights, Tom Regan. 7. A Critique of Regan's Theory of Rights, Dale Jamieson. 8. Ethical Vegetarianism Is Unfair to Women and Children, Katherine Paxton George. 9. The Limits of Trooghaft, Desmond Stewart.
IV. RESPECT FOR NATURE.
10. The Ethics of Respect for Nature, Paul W. Taylor. 11. Environmental Ethics and International Justice, Bernard E. Rollins. 12. Environmental Values and Future Generations, Bryan Norton. 13. The Aesthetics of Wildlife Preservation, Eugene Hargrove.
V. THE LAND ETHIC/DEEP ECOLOGY.
14. The Land Ethic: Conservation as a Moral Issue; Thinking like a Mountain, Aldo Leopold. 15. Deep Ecology, Bill Devall and George Sessions. 16. The Ecology of Order and Chaos, Donald Worster.
VI. RECONCILIATION AND DEFENSE.
17. The Rights of the Nonhuman World, Mary Anne Warren. 18. A Biocentrist Strikes Back, James P. Sterba.
VII. ECOLOGICAL FEMINISM.
19. From Heroic to Holistic Ethics: The Ecofeminist Challenge, Marti Kheel. 20. The Power and Promise of Ecological Feminism, Karen J. Warren.
VIII. SOCIAL ECOLOGY AND ENVIRONMENTAL RACISM.
21. What is Social Ecology?, Murray Bookchin. 22. Overcoming Racism in Environmental Decision Making, Robert D. Bullard.
IX. NON-WESTERN RELIGIOUS AND CULTURE PERSPECTIVES.
23. Ties that Bind: Native American beliefs as a Foundation for Environmental Consciousness, Annie L. Booth and Harvey M. Jacobs. 24. African Biocommunitarianism and Australian Dreamtime, J. Baird Callicott. 25. The Buddhist Attitude toward Nature, Lily de Silva. 26. Taoism and the Foundation of Environmental Ethics, Po-Keung Ip.
X. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS: GLOBAL WARMING AND OZONE DEPLETION.
27. Global Warming: How Serious is the Threat?, G. Tyler Miller. 28. The Ozone Backlash, Gary Taubes. 29. International Convention on Climate Change.
PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS: ENDANGERED SPECIES.
30. Endangered Species, Holmes Ralston III. 31. Seeking Global Solutions, John Tuxill. 32. International Convention on Biological Diversity.
33. Tora! Tora! Tora!, Paul Watson. 34. Earth First!, Dave Foreman. 35. Take Back the Earth, Chaia Hellner. 36. Ecological Sabotage: Pranks on Terrorism?, Eugene Hargrove.
PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS: ECONOMIC GROWTH AND ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY.
37. Do We Consume Too Much?, Mark Sagoff. 38. No Middle Way on the Environment: A Response to Sagoff, Paul R. Ehrich, Gretchen C. Daily, Scott C. Daily, Norman Myers, and James Salzman. 39. Reply to My Critics, Mark Sagoff. 40. Consuming the Earth: The Biophysics of Sustainability, William E. Rees.
Barnes & Noble.com Various Shipping Locations, USA
Brand new, ships from the closest shipping location to your shipping address!
$77.90 +$3.99 s/h
Ebooksweb Bensalem, PA
1999-09-25 Paperback 2nd New 013014827X Ships Within 24 Hours. Tracking Number available for all USA orders. Excellent Customer Service. Upto 15 Days 100% Money Back Gurantee. Try Our Fast! ! ! ! Sh...show moreipping With Tracking Number. ...show less
$98.14 +$3.99 s/h
GreatBookPrices Batavia, IL
Brand New, Perfect Condition, Please allow 4-14 business days for delivery. 100% Money Back Guarantee, Over 1,000,000 customers served.
$98.15 +$3.99 s/h
PaperbackshopUS Secaucus, NJ
New Book. Shipped from UK within 10 to 14 business days. Established seller since 2000.
$100.37 +$3.99 s/h
indoo Avenel, NJ
$110.14 +$3.99 s/h
TextbookBarn Agoura Hills, CA
013014827X Premium Publisher Direct Books are Like New or Brand New books direct from the publisher sometimes at a discount. Multiple copies are usually available. These books are not available for ...show moreexpedited shipping and may take up to 14 business days to receive. ...show less
$122.37 +$3.99 s/h
bargainforce Chicago, IL
No comments from the seller
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.