Summary: Since 1960, there have been two major theoretical advances in the Earth sciences: the theory of plate tectonics and the advent of Earth systems science. Stephen Marshak's beautifully written and illustrated new text is the first to incorporate both of these discoveries from its inception. Earth: Portrait of a Planet covers all the topics of a traditional physical geology course, but also includes such topics as historical geology, environmental geology, the Earth's r ...show moreesources, the oceans and atmosphere, cosmology, and global change. What results is a fascinating, comprehensive "portrait" of planet Earth. Features : Edition/Copyright: 01
- Early Introduction to Plate Tectonics
- Earth: Portrait of a Planet breaks new ground with its early and complete presentation of plate tectonics, the fundamental paradigm of modern geology. By introducing plate tectonics early, all subsequent chapters and key topics can be linked to this essential concept.
- Comprehensive Treatment of Earth Systems Science
- Earth systems science--the name given to the understanding that the planet's atmosphere, water systems, land, and living inhabitants are interconnected--receives thorough coverage throughout the text. Several chapters are devoted to the topic: An Envelope of Gas: Earth's Atmosphere and Climate, Streams and Floods: The Geology of Running Water, Amazing Ice: Glaciers and Ice Ages, and Global Change in the Earth System.
- Spectacular Art Program
- Prize-winning geology artist Gary Hincks has prepared an original two-page painting for nearly every chapter in the book. Hincks' art successfully integrates a number of diverse topics, and each piece gives the students a memorable picture of what's been covered in the chapter.
- Coverage of the History of the Earth and of Life
- New insights into the evolution of life and its connection to the evolution of the Earth itself are reflected in Part IV, which contains chapter-length coverage of fossils, deep time, and the history of the Earth. This section includes topics like mass extinctions, the birth of the Earth's oxygen-rich atmosphere, and the Precambrian explosion of complex life.
- Emphasis on Environmental Hazards
- Earth: Portrait of a Planet provides students with insight into important problems that affect their lives and the health of the planet. The text explains dangerous geologic hazards such as earthquakes, volcanoes, and floods and explores other relevant issues such as global warming, waste management, and the effects of pollution.
Publisher: W.W. Norton & Co.
Other Editions of Earth : Portrait of a Planet - With CD: