Summary: Designed for a new generation of readers, Stanley's Earth System History is a reforging of his Exploring Earth and Life Through Time. Adopting an earth system approach throughout, Earth System History shows students how Earth's ecosystem has developed over time and how events in the past provide a perspective for dealing with present and future changes. Clear and concise, the new Second Edition of this introduction to historical geology is perfect for one-term non-ma
jors courses and contains lots of new content and improved visuals.
Summary: Designed for a new generation of readers, Stanley's Earth System History is a reforging of his Exploring Earth and Life Through Time. Adopting an earth system approach throughout, Earth System History shows students how Earth's ecosystem has developed over time and how events in the past provide a perspective for dealing with present and future changes. Clear and concise, the new Second Edition of this introduction to historical geology is perfect for one-term non-majors courses and contains lots of new content and improved visuals. ...show less
Edition/Copyright:2ND 05 Cover: Paperback Publisher:W.H. Freeman Published: 10/28/2004 International: No
View Table of Contents
PART I PRINCIPLES 1. Earth as a System Visual Overview: Exploring the Earth System The Principle of Uniformitarianism The Nature and Origin of Rocks Global Dating of the Rock Record Imaging Earth Below Plate Tectonics The Water Cycle Directional Change in Earth's History Episodic Change in Earth's History
2. Rock-Forming Minerals and Rocks Visual Overview: Rocks and Their Origins The Structure of Minerals The Properties of Minerals Types of Rocks
3. The Diversity of Life Visual Overview: The Six Kingdoms Fossils and Chemical Remains of Ancient Life Taxonomic Groups Identifying Clades and Their Relationships Prokaryotes: The Two Kingdoms of Bacteria The Protista: A Kingdom Consisting Mainly of Single-Celled Organisms The Fungi: A Kingdom of Decomposers The Plant Kingdom The Animal Kingdom
4. Environments and Life Visual Overview: The Distribution of Environments and Life on Earth Principles of Ecology The Atmosphere The Terrestrial Realm The Marine Realm Freshwater Environments
5. Sedimentary Environments Visual Overview: Depositional Environments and Accumulation of Sediments Nonmarine Environments Mariginal Marine and Open-Shelf Environments Deep-Sea Environments
6. Correlation and Dating of the Rock Record Visual Overview: Methods of Stratigraphic Correlation The Geologic Time Scale Stratigraphic Units Earth's Absolute Age Event Stratigraphy
7. Evolution and the Fossil Record Visual Overview: The Evolution of Life Adaptations Charles Darwin's Contribution Genes, DNA, and Chromosomes Populations, Species, and Speciation Rates of Origination The Molecular Clock and Times of Origination Evolutionary Convergence Extinction Evolutionary Trends
8. The Theory of Plate Tectonics Visual Overview: Elements of Plate Tectonics The History of Continental Drift Theory The Rise of Plate Tectonics Faulting and Volcanism along Plate Boundaries Plate Movements
9. Continental Tectonics and Mountain Chains Visual Overview: Formation and Deformation of Continental Margins The Rifting of Continents Bending and Flowing of Rocks Mountain Building Suturing of Small Landmasses to Continents Tectonics of Continental Interiors
10. Major Chemical Cycles Visual Overview: Key Chemical Cycles in Earth System History Chemical Reservoirs Carbon Dioxide, Oxygen, and Biological Processes Use of Carbon Isotopes to Study Global Chemical Cycles Phanerozoic Trends in Atmospheric CO2 Feedbacks in the Carbon Cycle Oxygen Isotopes, Climate, and the Water Cycle Ocean Chemistry and Skeletal Mineralogy
PART II CHANGING EARTH 11. The Archean Eon of Precambrian Time Visual Overview: Major Events of the Archean Eon The Ages of the Planets and the Universe The Origin of the Solar System The Origin of Earth and Its Moon The Origin of Continents Greenstone Belts Earth System Shift 11-1: Large Cratons Appear near the End of Archean Time Evidence of Archean Life Chemical Evidence on the Origin of Life Atmospheric Oxygen
12. The Proterozoic Eon of Precambrian Time Visual Overview: Major Events of the Proterozoic Eon A Modern Style of Orogeny Global Events of the Paleoproterozoic and Mesoproterozoic Earth System Shift 12-1: Oxygen Builds Up in the Atmosphere The Beginnings of Modern Life Earth System Shift 12-2: Was There a Snowball Earth? The Expansion and Contraction of Continents The Assembly of North America The Assembly and Breakup of Neoproterozoic Supercontinents
13. The Early Paleozoic World Visual Overview: Major Events of the Early Paleozoic The Cambrian Explosion of Life Earth System Shift 13-1: Skeletons Evolve in Many Animal Groups Ordovician Life Episodic Mass Extinctions of Trilobites Ordovician Paleogeography Earth System Shift 13-2: Glaciation Results in Mass Extinction Regional Events of Early Paleozoic Time
14. The Middle Paleozoic World Visual Overview: Major Events of the Middle Paleozoic Renewed Diversification of Life Earth System Shift 14-1: Plants Alter Landscapes and Open the Way for Vertebrates to Conquer the Land The Paleogeography of the Middle Paleozoic World Glaciation and a Great Mass Extinction Earth System Shift 14-2: The Expansion of Plants over the Land Causes Global Climatic Change, Glaciation, and Mass Extinction Regional Events of Middle Paleozoic Time
15. The Late Paleozoic World Visual Overview: Major Events of the Late Paleozoic Late Paleozoic Life Earth System Shift 15-1: Weakened Greenhouse Warming Results in a Great Ice Age Paleogeography of the Late Paleozoic World Earth System Shift 15-2: The Most Destructive of All Mass Extinctions Ends the Paleozoic Era Regional Events of Late Paleozoic Time
16. The Early Mesozoic Era Visual Overview: Major Events of the Early Mesozoic Life in the Oceans: A New Biota Life on Land Earth System Shift 16-1: The Rise of the Dinosaurs The Paleogeography of the Early Mesozoic Era Mass Extinctions Tectonic Events in North America
17. The Cretaceous World Visual Overview: Major Events of the Cretaceous Cretaceous Life Paleogeography of the Cretaceous World The Terminal Cretaceous Extinction Earth System Shift 17-1: Death from Outer Space North America in the Cretaceous World The Chalk Seas of Europe
18. The Paleogene World Visual Overview: Major Events of the Paleogene Life of the Paleogene Paleogene Climates Earth System Shift 18-1: Global Cooling and Drying Begins Regional Events of Paleogene Time
19. The Neogene World Visual Overview: Major Events of the Neogene Worldwide Events of the Neogene Period The Modern Ice Age of the Northern Hemisphere Earth System Shift 19-1: Shockingly Rapid Climatic Shifts Occur during the Ice Age Regional Events of Neogene Time Human Evolution Earth System Shift 19-2: The Human Genus Arises at a Time of Sudden Climatic Change
20. The Holocene Visual Overview: Major Events of the Holocene The Retreat of Glaciers Abrupt Global Events of the Early Holocene Earth System Shift 20-1: A Brief Return to Glacial Conditions The First Americans A Sudden Extinction of Large Mammals Climatic Fluctuations of the Last 10,000 Years Sea Level The Twentieth and Twenty-First Centuries: The Impact of Humans
Summary/Review Questions Appendix: Stratigraphic Stages Glossary Index
New York, New York, U.S.A. 2004 Soft cover 2nd Edition Very Good Book Softcover; light creasing of corners of wraps and a few leaves; o/w in very good condition.
$2.20 +$3.99 s/h
Dream Books Company, LLC Englewood, CO
2004 Paperback Fair UGLY BOOK! ! ! Still Readable. This is not a book for picky readers. May contain light to heavy markings, water damage, binding damage, missing CDs, and heavy wear and tear. Con...show moretains all pages. ...show less
$5.00 +$3.99 s/h
HPB-Niles Niles, IL
2004 Paperback Good Connecting readers with great books since 1972. Used books may not include companion materials, some shelf wear, may contain highlighting/notes, may not include cd-rom or access...show more codes. Customer service is our top priority! ...show less
$5.00 +$3.99 s/h
Textbookcenter.com Columbia, MO
Ships same day or next business day via UPS (Priority Mail for AK/HI/APO/PO Boxes)! Used sticker and some writing and/or highlighting. Used books may not include working access code or dust jacket.
$6.43 +$3.99 s/h
textbookrebellion2 Troy, MI
0716739070 Used texts DO NOT include supplemental materials such CDs, online access codes, etc. Used texts may contain; writing, highlighting, bookstore stickers on cover, etc. Orders ship within 1-2 ...show morebusiness days w/ free USPS tracking. Satisfaction Guaranteed. ...show less
$19.99 +$3.99 s/h
SUPER BOOKS Fort Mill, SC
Buy with Confidence. Excellent Customer Support. We ship from multiple US locations. No CD, DVD or Access Code Included.
$30.12 +$3.99 s/h
Thrifty_Text Emeryville, CA
Ships today or the next business day. Cover and binding show moderate wear. Text may contain moderate writing/highlightings but is easily readable. 24-18.
$31.87 +$3.99 s/h
Thrifty_Text Emeryville, CA
Ships today or the next business day. Cover and binding show wear. Text may contain some writing/highlightings but nothing major. 24-18.
$38.59 +$3.99 s/h
value-text Edmond, OK
. Speedy service! Choose EXPEDITED for fastest shipping!
$43.95 +$3.99 s/h
arcfoundationthriftstore Ventura, CA
0716739070 YOUR PURCHASE BENEFITS THOSE WITH DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIES TO LIVE A BETTER QUALITY OF LIFE. wear corners and edges; wear to covers; stamped on inside cover; sticker on binding;
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.