Summary: Boyes and Melvin have developed the Sixth Edition of Economics to enhance its central features: direct and accessible writing, proven pedagogy, and thorough integration of global economic issues.Edition/Copyright: 6TH 05
The text's international perspective has been strengthened and extended to focus on the implications of economic principles for business strategy in an era of global competition. International issues appear consistently throughout the text in examples that illustra ...show morete basic economic concepts. In addition, economic data drawn from around the world underscores the authors' long-standing emphasis on global issues. Extended coverage of topics affecting global competitiveness, such as resource pricing and foreign exchange markets, explicitly connects the study of economics with real-world business decisions.
- New! Chapter 19, Globalization, now provides in-depth coverage of this controversial phenomenon, including the arguments for and against globalization and how it has affected economic growth and poverty worldwide.
- New! Global Business Insight boxes use thumbnail maps and examples from around the world to illustrate essential economic concepts.
- New! Chapter 37, Exchange Rates and Financial Links Between Countries, has been completely revised to discuss how countries are linked together through interest rates, exchange rates, and prices.
- New! The Sixth Edition features greater coverage of macroeconomics, including the large-scale impact of war in Iraq, the recent recession, and the role of financial market development in economic growth. All macroeconomic data has been updated to include statistics through 2002--and in some cases 2003.
- New! The discussions of market failure and the different forms of economic and social regulation have been reorganized to facilitate learning. A stronger focus on the application of market theory to current, real-life issues--including the recent corporate accounting scandals--helps students to see the content's practical relevance, increasing their comprehension of key ideas.
- New! Chapter 31, Financial Markets: Institutions and Recent Events, provides a detailed description of how the U.S. stock and bond markets work, as well as their role in the global economy to reinforce the application of economic principles to business.
- A consistent framework of instruction helps to improve students' understanding and performance in the course. Fundamental Questions reinforce 5-8 key points per chapter, appearing repeatedly throughout the chapter as well as the supplements. In addition, the text's internal referencing system establishes a hierarchy of ideas by designating a number for each section and subsection--cited consistently in the textbook and supplements (including the Test Bank).
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Other Editions of Economics - With CD: