Summary: "Its greatest strength is potentially in its use of some classic pieces ( and voices) in combination with a spread of contemporary voices in subsectors of education."
--Dr. Fred Bedelle, Jr., Dean of Graduate Studies, Lincoln Memorial University
"The authors have here assembled a wonderful collection of classic and new essays by some of the masters in the field. You will experience the exhilarating highs and crushing lows that teaching of ...show morefers. If you can't get engaged with these essays, check your pulse to make sure you still have one."
--Gerald W. Bracey, George Mason University and High/Scope Educational Research
Educational Foundations: An Anthology of Critical Readings provides an exciting alternative to foundations texts currently on the market. This anthology is aimed at students about to enter the teaching profession, those new to the profession, and anyone interested in carefully examining schools and schooling. Editors Alan S. Canestrari and Bruce A. Marlowe have collected two dozen provocative, engaging essays to challenge students, professors, and administrators with the following questions:
- Why teach?
- Who are today's students?
- What makes a good teacher?
- How should we assess student learning?
- What does a good school look like?
- How does one develop a critical voice?
The chapter authors address these questions in a bold and refreshing way. Their views are unapologetically politicized, and are informed by decades of experience as teachers, principals, and policy-makers. The collection challenges readers to take a hard look at traditional education practice, and encourages students to become critical, reflective practitioners upon entering the field.
- Offers selections written by authors who employ a critical voice and encourage students and teachers to find their own
- Forms a platform for discussion and debate that may be used by instructors to increase student knowledge of pedagogy and to provide authentic opportunities to think critically about teaching and learning
- Combines already published essays by experts in the field with entries written specifically for this collection
- Begins each section with introductory vignettes that summarize key concepts
Jacqueline Grennon Brooks
Charles Weingartner ...show less
32 more offers below.