Summary: For junior/senior-level undergraduate RF Electronics and Communication Systems courses in Electronic Technology programs. Also appropriate as a supplemental text for courses in Electrical Engineering programs. Edition/Copyright: 5TH 04
Helping students become successful designers and troubleshooters of useful communications products, this easy-to-read, hands-on text covers devices, circuits and systems analysis, and design concepts in a way that keeps students involved and active i ...show moren the learning process. It includes familiar existing systems and introduces a broad range of new communication technologies in wireless, high definition TV with video compression and a broad range of fiber-optic devices, system parameters and networking. Grounded in sound theory and engineering principles, it uses algebra-based mathematics through calculus, and a logical design-and-analysis approach, and now includes the very latest information on optical, Bluetooth, "Wi-Fi" cellular and Internet devices, circuits, and systems.
- NEW - Greatly expanded Chapter 18--Covers dense wavelength-division multiplexing; discusses devices to implement SWDM such as arrayed waveguide gratings, fiber Bragg gratings, and thin film filters; and provides digital and analog system applications of WDM including digital transmission infrastructure for telephony with local exchange and inter carrier loops, local area networks, and digital loop carrier technology. Additional Internet information is included, covering protocol basics, routers, switches, add/drop multiplexers; as well as a new section on broadband analog DWDM updates the section on Broadband RF signals on first generation fiber-optic CATV networking.
- Provides students with a complete update on Internet technology, including fiber-optic and other networks and systems.
- NEW - Bluetooth technology--Included in Chapter 17, contains hardware and link connection and packet management software aspects for personal area wireless interconnectivity among devices within a home/office environment. Also added is "Wi-Fi," an unlicensed 2.4GHz, IEEE 802.11b wireless local-area network standard with very low transmission power for short-range wireless LANs in public places such as waiting rooms, coffee shops, convention sites, and airports.
- Enables students to learn to work with the latest technology by giving practical applications that can be used in their future careers.
- NEW - Added section on Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) data transmission--Contains coverage on data error detection and correction, including Reed Solomon encoding, convolutional encoding, BCH codes, and data interleaving.
- Provides students with valuable troubleshooting information.
- NEW - Updated appendix on "Abbreviations and Acronyms."
- Provides students with a handy reference guide.
- NEW - Chapter Previews--Added to each chapter.
- Highlights for students the learning goals and objectives for each chapter before they study it.
- Completeness of coverage--Details devices, circuits, and systems, including radio, TV, fiber-optic, space and undersea systems, and local- and wide-area networks.
- Provides students with one textbook that fills most communication systems course' needs.
- Plain and to-the-point writing style.
- Enables students at every level to understand often complex concepts.
- A reference textbook.
- Provides students with a long-term acquisition and guide, with a broad field of usage.
- Extensive pedagogy--Includes well-developed chapter introduction followed by practical problems, use of tables, and graphs, clear discussion of topics, and examples for closure.
- Gives students a book that makes reading, learning, and using it a pleasure.
- Practical design and technical aids--Includes design equations, general references, appendices, data sheets showing detail parameters and limits, figures and illustrations, practical test equipment and waveform analysis.
- Provides students with data in various formats that shortens their problem-solving solution time.
- Broad-based, real-world industry orientation--Incorporates examples, standards, and techniques from a number of different technology disciplines.
- Enables students to see that Electronic Communication Techniques is relevant in their lives and to their futures.
- Numerous derivations, examples, and problems.
- Allows students to practice and test their knowledge.
- Computer analysis sections in every chapter--Provides analysis of the use of Spice and MicroCAP software.
- Exposes students to important design and analysis programs in the communications industry.
- Familiar existing systems--Introduces a broad range of new communication technologies in wireless, high definition TV with video compression as well as a broad range of fiber-optic network parameters and networking.
- Introduces students to the latest advancements in laser and other fiber-optic devices.
- PowerPoint slides--Available as an Instructor Supplement.
- Enables instructors to use a powerful lecture tool.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.