Summary: This third edition preserves the strengths of the previous editions while enhancing the text's teachability, flexibility, and richness. It incorporates feedback from many of the more than 200 schools where this text has been used. The blending of classical theory with modern applications has always been a hallmark of the text, and this new edition builds on this strength with new examples and additional applications. Many new exercises, including more routine exercis ...show morees, along with many new intermediate, challenging, and extremely challenging exercises are provided. Challenging and extremely challenging exercises are clearly marked in the text. New to this edition are answers or solutions to all odd-numbered exercises at the end of the text. FEATURES: Edition/Copyright: 3RD 93
- Sections on check digits and zero knowledge proofs are included.
- Coverage of elementary factoring methods, including the Pollard p-1 method and the Pollard rho method, were expanded.
- Information on recent developments in number theory, such as new big prime numbers and factorizations of large integers, was updated.
- Ten additional biographies of mathematicians bring the text's total to more than 25.
- Computations and Explorations allow students to use computer programs to discover new ideas.
- Applications are integrated with text material.
- Exercises range from routine to challenging.
- Coverage of number theory and cryptology is integrated and comprehensive.
- Excellent computer science applications include hashing functions, arithmetic with large integers, pseudo-primes, and probabalistic primality testing.
Publisher: Addison-Wesley Longman, Inc.
Year Published: 1993