Summary: For algebra-based Introductory Statistics courses. Offering the most accessible approach to statistics, with a strong visual/graphical emphasis, the book offers a vast number of examples on the premise that students learn best by ''doing''. The fourth edition features many updates and revisions that place increased emphasis on interpretation of results and critical thinking in addition to calculations. This emphasis on ''statistical literacy'' is reflective of the GAISE recomme
Summary: For algebra-based Introductory Statistics courses. Offering the most accessible approach to statistics, with a strong visual/graphical emphasis, the book offers a vast number of examples on the premise that students learn best by ''doing''. The fourth edition features many updates and revisions that place increased emphasis on interpretation of results and critical thinking in addition to calculations. This emphasis on ''statistical literacy'' is reflective of the GAISE recommendations. ...show less
Edition/Copyright:4TH 09 Cover: Hardback Publisher:Prentice Hall, Inc. Year Published: 2009 International: No
View Table of Contents
(NOTE: Each chapter begins with Where Yoursquo;ve Been and Where You're Going sections and concludes with Uses and Abuses, Chapter Summary, Review Exercises, Chapter Quiz, Real Statistics-Real Decisions-Putting it all Together, and Technology sections.)
1. Introduction to Statistics. An Overview of Statistics. Data Classification. Case Study: Rating Television Shows in the United States. Experimental Design.
2. Descriptive Statistics. Frequency Distributions and Their Graphs. More Graphs and Displays. Measures of Central Tendency. Measures of Variation. Case Study: Earnings of Athletes. Measures of Position.
3. Probability. Basic Concepts of Probability. Conditional Probability and the Multiplication Rule. The Addition Rule. Case Study: Probability and Parking Lot Strategies. Additional Topics in Probability and Counting.
4. Discrete Probability Distributions. Probability Distributions. Binomial Distributions. Case Study: Binomial Distribution of Airplane Accidents. More Discrete Probability Distributions.
5. Normal Probability Distributions. Introduction to Normal Distributions and the Standard Normal Distribution. Normal Distributions: Finding Probabilities. Normal Distributions: Finding Values. Case Study: Birth Weights in America. Sampling Distributions and The Central Limit Theorem. Normal Approximations to Binomial Distributions.
6. Confidence Intervals. Confidence Intervals for the Mean (Large Samples). Case Study: Shoulder Heights of Appalachian Black Bears. Confidence Intervals for the Mean (Small Samples). Confidence Intervals for Population Proportions. Confidence Intervals for Variance and Standard Deviation.
7. Hypothesis Testing with One Sample Introduction to Hypothesis Testing. Hypothesis Testing for the Mean (Large Samples). Case Study: Human Body Temperature: What's Normal? Hypothesis Testing for the Mean (Small Samples). Hypothesis Testing for Proportions. Hypothesis Testing for the Variance and Standard Deviation.
8. Hypothesis Testing with Two Samples. Testing the Difference Between Means (Large Independent Samples). Case Study: Oatbran and Cholesterol Level. Testing the Difference Between Means (Small Independent Samples). Testing the Difference Between Means (Dependent Samples). Testing the Difference Between Proportions.
9. Correlation and Regression. Correlation. Linear Regression. Case Study: Correlation of Body Measurements. Measures of Regression and Prediction Intervals. Multiple Regression.
10. Chi-Square Tests and the F-Distribution. Goodness of Fit. Independence. Case Study: Traffic Safety Facts. Comparing Two Variances. Analysis of Variance.
11. Nonparametric Tests. The Sign Test. The Wilcoxon Tests. Case Study: Health and Nutrition. The Kruskal-Wallis Test. Rank Correlation. Runs Test. Appendix A.
Order this book in the next 10 hours and 35 minutes and it ships by Noon CT today!
New Currently Sold Out
Due back 07/31/2015
Save $92.76 (60%)
Free return shipping
21-day satisfaction guarantee
CDs or access codes may not be included
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.